BJCP and Beyond

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natethebrewer

Reaction score
So I have developed a recent and serious interest in taking and passing the BJCP exams. But what I haven't seen much written about, is what happens after the test? You test, pass, and....?
Anybody here pass the exams? And have any thoughts?
What does passing this enable you to do? Was it worth it?
Did it change your life? (the last one's a joke).
Really though, BJCP experience would be insightful.

Nate, I passed the first exam (online) and have taken the second exam (tasting) and am waiting for the results. Around here, competitions have a difficult time recruiting enough BJCP judges and I thought having that certification would be helpful to my club and others when they host their competitions. I've served as a non-BJCP certified judge and thought being certified would be helpful.

Have you passed the first test, the online one?

I recently took the online test and passed, I will have to go far to take the second part. The test is easy when it comes to brewing questions very basic stuff, it is the style guidelines that it starts to get very specific.

The style guidelines do seem like the hard part on the onset. And no, I haven't taken any of the tests yet. I'm in the midst of studying for them.
Just curious as to how people who have been certified through this program feel about it afterwards, was it worth it? and if so why? I'm actually a big advocate for standardizing things like this and being able to have a reference everybody agrees on. But I have to ask (and not to be self-centered) what are the benefits of doing this?

The style guidelines do seem like the hard part on the onset. And no, I haven't taken any of the tests yet. I'm in the midst of studying for them.
Just curious as to how people who have been certified through this program feel about it afterwards, was it worth it? and if so why? I'm actually a big advocate for standardizing things like this and being able to have a reference everybody agrees on. But I have to ask (and not to be self-centered) what are the benefits of doing this?

No benefits at all, really. People do it for the love of the craft, and helping other brewers to hone their skills.

I know many people who have never worked at a competition thing "You're doing it for the free beer!" but that is so wrong. First, I can get free beer at home and from friends. I spend my own money for going to judge competitions! Plus, taking the classes and tests cost money too. There is no pay for judging.

The other thing is, most of the beer at competitions is not good. Most don't suck too bad, but most are not award-winning beers. People enter competitions to get feedback on their beer, which usually involves an off-flavor, or some other issue that they need help with.

Judges taste the beer, and give helpful feedback (like "harsh tannic astringency on swallow- check your water's alkalinity") that maybe your friends who drink your beer can't (or won't) give you.

Took the test in person about 6 years ago - since the I've judged 3 events - mostly the Sam Adams events as they set you up pretty nice.

Other than that I just wear my bjcp pin every day to the bar and act cool in the corner with my iiiiipa's

No really it does help move your knowledge of beer and brewing forward - its a good thing, did it change my life - no.

I'd like to judge more events but they are very time consuming and generally at least a 2 hour drive minimum for me one way, do of they don't put you up in a hotel, your dropping a good $100 to go judge beer.

I took one of the last of the "classic" exams before they launched the online written part. I only just recently got my results back. I am not so sure that anything comes "after" other than judging competitions, and working on improving your style knowledge and ability to provide concise, constructive feedback.

I should amend my previous statement in light of the word "benefit" being subjective.
I would think helping others to better their beer is a benefit, as the entire community is raised up.
I do have to agree if I wanted "free" beer I could find better/different ways.
Shoreman I like your view on progressing ones knowledge of brewing ahead, bummer to know you've spent that kind of money offering that kind of service.
I also thing being able to offer concise constructive feedback is important.

Back