Bittering-only APA + dry hop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone try this?

I brewed my latest APA with a simple grain bill and just enough bittering hops to get about 35 IBUs. No other hop additions except for 2 ounces chinook dry hop. Thing is, this sucker has it all. Tons or aroma as I expected, but flavor too. If anything, it seems more complex than a beer with finishing hops, because I pick up a subtle malt character that would otherwise be covered up by one-dimensional hop grassiness.

Question is, why even bother with finishing hops in the boil?

Nice. When I started brewing a little over 25 years ago this was basically what you did - a bittering addition and then maybe you dry hopped. I do find myself layering hop additions now, and enjoying the outcome, but I may have to try old-school on a pale ale, just for fun. certainly makes the brew day easier.

Cheers

Nice. When I started brewing a little over 25 years ago this was basically what you did - a bittering addition and then maybe you dry hopped. I do find myself layering hop additions now, and enjoying the outcome, but I may have to try old-school on a pale ale, just for fun. certainly makes the brew day easier.

Cheers

We often don't give enough credit to the value of generational knowledge.

We often don't give enough credit to the value of generational knowledge.

So true. Simple is often better. Lately I have been totally digging a pilsner that is nothing but pilsner and saaz. Only two hop additions at 60 and 30 mins. And I am a hop head.

Back