Bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turricaine

Reaction score
3kg Pale Lager Malt
125g Amber malt
60g Hop pellets (5% Golding)
Starter yeast
25L Water

First of all do the mashing for a couple of hours at the correct temp. Sparge everything.
Boil the wort. Tip: Use a sieve to prevent the scum at the bottom from sticking to the element.
Use at least 3 hop socks so that it is not overfull.
About 1 gallon will boil off, then cut the heat.
Transfer into the fermentation bin with lid. Allow to cool. Pitch the yeast. Allow primary for about a week.
Siphon into the vessel that has a tap.
Add 70g sugar and 2x jello cubes dissolved in hot water.
Allow at least 1 month for secondary, will keep improving with time.

I did this twice now. I am confident it is a good recipe.

Hi Turricaine,

Thank you for sharing your recipe!
However, I feel your recipe is lacking a number of crucial details, for example the yeast strain.

I've got a friend who recently got some bad news from his docter who loves bitters so I was planning on making one after I have a couple all grain batches under my belt. Thanks for shareing your recipe, any idea what the ABV is?

I think roughly 1.03 was the starting gravity, maybe 1.035.

In terms of the yeast, I had got the starter from the demijohn cider sediment.

@Turricaine - is this a bitter or a lager? It can't be both, style-wise. One way or the other, its miscategorized in our recipe database and I'm going to move it, based on your recipe.

The recipe database here is for tried and true recipes. When you add a recipe to our database, fill out the entire recipe - yours is lacking in a ton of stuff. Mash temp, batch size, yeast strain (demijohn cider doesn't answer that), when do you add the hops, and more. I'll give you a day or two to fill out the recipe fully.

Nevermind. If you want the details copy some of the other recipes.
I just meant that is the recipe in a nutshell.
I must say that 60g hops is all bittering, in an attempt not to lose money I don't bother with aroma hops or dry hopping. It just seems too generous to lose it down like that.

Yes, this was made with lager malt, I think it is called a Pilsener in some countries as well as a Bitter.
Mash temp is typically 65-75C.
All the hops is at 60 min.
I think I gave you all the info you need in a nutshell.
Standard technique.

Attachments

• Beer picture.jpg
    Beer picture.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
My latest 5 gallon recipe is the following:

5 kg Irish "Hook Head" Pale Ale crushed "Minch malt".
60g Kent Goldings Hops (6.1% AA) at first wort.

This is a simple S.M.A.S.H. recipe for beginners to practice.

It's an Irish Cream Ale.

Last edited:
Yes, this was made with lager malt, I think it is called a Pilsener in some countries as well as a Bitter.
Mash temp is typically 65-75C.
All the hops is at 60 min.
I think I gave you all the info you need in a nutshell.
Standard technique.
When you add a recipe to the database there is a form to fill out in the More Options tab. Admittedly that step is easily missed and I wish the admins would tweak that section to make it more obvious or clear instructions at the top so that new posters understand what that forum is for. Bottom line however is that there is much more info that we need to post in that forum.

Latest posts

Back