Bitter Sorghum taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
Hello,

Brew with white and dark Sorghum and some Rice syrup. Any good ingredients to offset the bitter "twangy" taste of Sorghum ? Also realized that some of my brews made with above ingredients are at app. 300 calories per 12 oz.'s, any way to lower the calories ? Thanks

others have said high citrus hops are good to cut through the twang. im brewing my first beer that includes Sorghum and will let you know how chinook and fuggles work with it.

Just brewed a high ABV attempt at an IPA with dark Sorghum/maltodextrim/table sugar/5 oz's of various Hops. Also dry hopped. Two 11g packages of Verdant IPA yeast. Everything went well, good fermentation - OG 1.090 - FG 1.017. Smells good, looks good but still has that twangy/bitter taste from Sorghum. Going to try next batch with Rice Syrup and Rice sugar. Have not tried using any extract brewing still jsut using syrups. Merry Christmas !

If you have access to grains from Grouse or Eckert I highly recommend steeping some of those milled grains to enhance flavor profiles in your beer. You could just get a grain bag and steep for 30 minutes and it will definitely make a difference. If not then try using those citrus hops as mentioned above and I'd probably stay away from high ABV beers and just do something that gives you a 5.0% ABV to start out. I know my only sorghum only extract beer had an awful almost undrinkable twang to it and made me immediately move to all grain. I've since found using a single 3.3 lbs can of Briess sorghum along with malted rice and/or millet completely masks any sort of sorghum twang.

Back