Bitter Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASKAmead

Reaction score
I have made a plain hydromel before and it was lovely but I recently bottled my first full strength mead and I am tasting a strong bitter flavor (not so strong as to make the mead undrinkable but not pleasant at all). I am a bit concerned by this and my only theories are that the chopped up dry fig I added to the brew may have had it's seeds and stems ferment into bitter flavors as I've heard of this happening or alternatively I may have been a bit liberal with the concentration of my star san solution ( I mostly was going by eye and trying to match the manufacturers directions). I know the brew isn't rancid ( I already drank half a bottle a week ago and did not need a hospital visit or feel bad at all). Curious if anyone might have an idea of what could have caused this and if the taste might age out.

I would guess the fig seeds or stems is the cause, and age will likely help.

If it weren't already bottled, I would be thinking of sweetening it a little, but now age is your friend. If it never ages out to your satisfaction, you could blend with another mead, thereby diluting the bitter until it is not a problem.

Yeah that sounds about right. I'll leave it a year and see what happens. Thanks I would never have thought of diluting with another brew.

Back