Birch sap Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jci3005

Reaction score
5 gallons of Birch tree sap(instead of water)
Brewer best American Amber kit
Nottingham yeast included in kit
3 pounds of honey
Followed kit directions.
After 10 days no action in airlock until i moved it to my bottling table. It sat on table for 12 hrs no activity in air lock for over 5 minutes.
O.G. 1.084
F.G. 1.020
Abv 8.4%

I bottled yesterday's with 5 oz of priming sugar (included with kit)
This morning 10 hrs later i checked a plastic water bottle i put the beer in and it was already pretty firm. How do you know if you at risk for over carbonation? If so what do I Do?

It tasted good flat and warm.

FYI I took a hydrometer reading of just the birch sap and it was the same as water, but tasted sweet and slightly minty.

You have that level of carbonation after 2 days in the bottle?! If I had read your post sooner, I would have suggested you give it another day or two. How long did the foam persist?

Crack open another one tomorrow and if you still see a lot of carbonation, I'd throw it all in the fridge.

This picture was a slow pour. I open a second and pour it fast and was a half glass of foam. It lasted about 2 minutes. In the above picture it about a minute after pouring.

Also have one bottle in a plastic soda bottle and it very firm. Even stretch the bottle a little.

Latest posts

Back