Big Thanks to Hanna Instruments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsmcgee

Reaction score
It seems many people like to share horror stories relating to bad customer service, but I thought I would share a positive experience I recently had with Hanna Instruments (the maker of my pH meter).

I had only used the meter for 3 brews before it started to act erractically, and eventually completely crapping out on me saying the batteries were dead (after about 20 minutes of use). I attempted to open the battery section and the screw would not come out. Long story short, I broke the battery end cap while trying to replace the batteries. It turns out the batteries leaked, shorted out the unit and melted the plastic battery box.

So I called Hanna today (who had been closed due to the hurricane) and explained my situation. Without question they said they would replace it at no cost. I told them that I broke the battery end cap and they said don't worry about it, it's still warrantied.

This is great customer service and I thought everyone should know about it. If you are in the market for a pH meter, you can't go wrong with a Hanna Instruments model. :rockin:

If you are in the market for a pH meter, you can't go wrong with a Hanna Instruments model. :rockin:

Unless the batteries melt.... :cross:

I actually own one and am going to upgrade shortly to one of their better models.

_

I chose the HI 98127. It only reads to .1, not .01, but I don't care about that. It also reads temp and has ATC. It's much more accurate than strips.

Interesting. I have a Hanna pocket meter that I use for my swimming pool, and the batteries that came in it (ordered directly from Hanna) were nearly dead and starting to leak. Once I replaced them and calibrated with the new batteries it has worked great, but it sounds like they really need to do something about the batteries they ship with.

I chose the HI 98127. It only reads to .1, not .01, but I don't care about that. It also reads temp and has ATC. It's much more accurate than strips.

I'm curious about the ATC feature - do you dip it in 152ish mash directly and take a reading or do you have to take a sample out and cool it down to 120 or so and then do your test?

I'm curious about the ATC feature - do you dip it in 152ish mash directly and take a reading or do you have to take a sample out and cool it down to 120 or so and then do your test?

You CAN measure it at mash temp, but that would wear the probe out prematurely. It's best to cool the wort to 70-80 or so first. The ATC is till nice because it works at all temps.

Hi Everybody!

Thank you for using/considering Hanna Instruments to be a part of your brewing!:mug:

I'm very happy to hear a success story. I did want to share with you all that we have since revamped our beer offerings and if you have questions or need support we are always here to service our customers. Check out beverage blog link below and my linked in incase you'd like to reach me:

Hanna Beverage Blog

We have Portable Beer meters, Beer Bluetooth Probe Coming Soon!, a Hanna_Brewing Instagram and more!

You can check out my linked in at: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kassandra-mcglone-a00b5a4b?trk=hp-identity-photo

Back