Big Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begin2Brew

Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just kinda messed with Beersmith and came up with this for a big milk chocolate stout. Any opinions? What should I use for the chocolate taste?

Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 58.54 %
4.00 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 19.51 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 9.76 %
1.00 lb Carafa I (337.0 SRM) Grain 4.88 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 2.44 %
1.00 oz Pearle [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.0 IBU
1.00 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4.88 %
1 Pkgs Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.099 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.025
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.76 %
Bitterness: 18.0 IBU Calories: 337 cal/pint
Est Color: 40.6 SRM Color:

30% cara/crystal malt is way too much (especially in a big beer). The problem with big beers is to get them to dry out enough to be balanced. I'd just swap out the carafoam for 4 more lbs of pale. Hold off on the lactose until bottling, at that point you can add it to taste (Irish ale is a low attenuator, so you may have enough sweetness as is).

I would give it a bit more hop bitterness, 18 IBUs isn't much for such a big beer, I'd say ~30 minimum.

I really like cocoa powder for chocolate flavor, it is low on cocoa butter so it doesn't cause the same fat related issues that other types of chocolate pose. I mix it with some hot water and add it to secondary.

Oldsock said:
I really like cocoa powder for chocolate flavor, it is low on cocoa butter so it doesn't cause the same fat related issues that other types of chocolate pose. I mix it with some hot water and add it to secondary.

I made a mint chocolate stout with a bunch of cocoa powder right at the end of the boil. Worked great. I think about 8oz is the right amount. Though this wasn't a big beer

Back