Big Brew Day Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Newman

Reaction score
For our Big Brew Day our wort is 1.060 all 2-row base malt. If I want to beef up my wort with more grains should I do a separate mash? Or can I just crush my extra grains ahead of time and steep them in the wort as I would normally for 30 min below 170 degrees Fahrenheit? I’m just wondering if the sugars in the BBD wort will affect how the sugar metabolize from the extra grains and make it less efficient? I’m lookin for an SG of 1.085 and am going to add 4.5 lbs of 2 row and 6.7 oz of malted wheat.

I gather you're getting your 1.060 wort from a brewery?
Of course you need to mash the additional base malts. The grain's starches need to be converted into sugars. 1 hour @146-158F. 150-152F is a good medium temp. If you don't know the exact difference between steeping and mashing, do some Googling.

Is this wort from a brewery or some sort of club event? If that’s the case, a separate mash and then blending sounds like the way to go.

Do they allow mixing other wort with it? Often the central idea is to see how many different beers can be brewed from the same wort.

This is just our BIG brew day sponsored by AHA. As far as I know there are no sanctions on what you can or can’t brew with. I probably should clarify

For our Big Brew Day our wort is 1.060 all 2-row base malt. If I want to beef up my wort with more grains should I do a separate mash? Or can I just crush my extra grains ahead of time and steep them in the wort as I would normally for 30 min below 170 degrees Fahrenheit? I’m just wondering if the sugars in the BBD wort will affect how the sugar metabolize from the extra grains and make it less efficient? I’m lookin for an SG of 1.085 and am going to add 4.5 lbs of 2 row and 6.7 oz of malted wheat.

I gather you're getting your 1.060 wort from a brewery?
Of course you need to mash the additional base malts. The grain's starches need to be converted into sugars. 1 hour @146-158F. 150-152F is a good medium temp. If you don't know the exact difference between steeping and mashing, do some Googling.
Yes, you can just mash your additional grain in the wort that will be provided. The sugar in the original wort will not affect the extraction of additional sugar from the added grain during the second mash..Use the parameters suggested by @IslandLizard . Easiest way is to just do a no-sparge BIAB process for the additional crushed grain, then squeeze the bag to minimize lost wort. With a good squeeze, you will lose about 0.06 to 0.08 gal/lb of additional grain. Without squeezing you will lose 0.1 to 0.12 gal/lb. Doing a sparge will just dilute your wort and reduce the effect of the additional grain (unless you boil off all of the sparge water later.)

Brew on :mug:

Yes, you can just mash your additional grain in the wort that will be provided. The sugar in the original wort will not affect the extraction of additional sugar from the added grain during the second mash..Use the parameters suggested by @IslandLizard . Easiest way is to just do a no-sparge BIAB process for the additional crushed grain, then squeeze the bag to minimize lost wort. With a good squeeze, you will lose about 0.06 to 0.08 gal/lb of additional grain. Without squeezing you will lose 0.1 to 0.12 gal/lb. Doing a sparge will just dilute your wort and reduce the effect of the additional grain (unless you boil off all of the sparge water later.)

Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I needed to hear.

Glad I could help. I just finished a double mash brew myself, and it worked like a charm.

Back