Big Beers.. Alcohol sinks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdude25

Reaction score
I have noticed that sometimes when i make strong ales (e.g. Imperial IPA) that comes to around 8% or 9% ABV, it seems that I get a much stronger taste of alcohol towards the bottom of the bottle. This is especially the case if it has been conditioning for longer than usual. Could it be that the alcohol is sinking to the bottom of the bottles in the stronger ales? Is this normal? Or could I be doing something wrong? I am brewing extract with steeping grains.

Thanks

Could it be that as you approach the bottom of the bottle the beer is warming up. Cold lessens the sesitivity of your tastebuds.;)

Could it be that as you approach the bottom of the bottle the beer is warming up. Cold lessens the sesitivity of your tastebuds.;)

This is more likely I'd suspect. Alcohol is lighter than water so it would actually float to the top if anything in the glass however I don't think at a 9% concentration their would be a noticeable difference in a pint of beer.

Alcohol is completely missible, so if you put it in water it will completely go into solution. Gravity doesn't even apply; it just changes the gravity of the entire solution.;)

Also, ethanol is less dense than water and wort. That's why you can get a gravity reading less than 1.000 with ciders and stuff.

If anything, it would accumulate near the top of the bottle, not the bottom.

The answer is (was) in the first half of the beer. Your GETTING DRUNK!!
If alcohol was "heavier" (actually less-dense) we'd all be putting caboys on the merry-g-round making kids wait for us to sling all the water to the bottom so we can siphon off the stronger stuff.:drunk:

Pour it in a glass instead of drinking from the bottle.

I do drink it out of a glass. I guess i noticed it at the bottom of the glass. My friend did too. Thanks for the info guys. That makes sense that alcohol is less dense based on the final gravity being lower that the Original. :confused: Must be the warming effect.

The answer is (was) in the first half of the beer. Your GETTING DRUNK!!
If alcohol was "heavier" (actually less-dense) we'd all be putting caboys on the merry-g-round making kids wait for us to sling all the water to the bottom so we can siphon off the stronger stuff.:drunk:

seriously.. the now easiest form of distillation - just let your beer sit for a couple months, then siphon off the top. Instant barleywine!

When the glass is mostly empty there is a lot more head space for ethanol vapors to accumulate. When you take a sip, you get a lot more of the fumes and that makes it seem like there is more alcohol. There isn't, it is just easier to notice it when the glass is nearly empty.

Back