Big beer and little beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
This weekend I'm going to be brewing up a big trippel with an estimated OG of 1.090 (after some belgian candy sugar is added in the boil). I've seen from a few sources that the first runnings or wort out of the mash tun can be used for a big beer, and the second runnings can be used for a smaller gravity beer.

My question is, I'm definately going for a 5.5 gallon batch for my big beer, so if I use the second runnings for a smaller gravity beer will I fall completely short of my target gravity for my batch size? I know I can use some DME to pick it up a bit if I'm short, however this is our first all grain brew day so I'd like to keep from using any extracts if I can help it.

Look up partigyle and there are some good threads on this, it's done a lot. Fullers makes 3 different beers from one mash. If your concerned about using any extract you can always add some more base malt to your mash after your first runnings or collect enough wort to do a half batch.

I would say if its your first brew day you might be best to focus on making just one beer so you get the process down. Also if you are brewing a big trippel then adding some DME is not going to do what you want, the beer will finish with a higher FG and you wont get the dryness you are aiming for.

Haha, it's not my first brew day, just my first all grain batch so I'm not too worried about the process. I'm just going to be left with 15 pounds of grain that I would hate to go to waste if it is at all possible to turn out a second batch from the residual sugars. Can't beat that price for another 5 gallons. :D

But yea, maybe I will pick up a few pounds more of some base malt to add in to ensure I hit a decent gravity for a lighter beer.

If using a top cropper like Trappist high gravity. Be sure to use a blow off tube or you will end up with a mess on the floor.

Trappist is exactly what I'll be using. I've read the fermentation on this recipe is explosive.

Back