Big beer and bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would add one smack pack of what you started with, or WL irish Ale yeast, or Notty dry.

Add it to the cooled (but still warm) priming solution and cover it for an hour or so. It should be a little frothy.

Dump that in the bucket, rack onto it.

Bottle, allow 6 weeks or so to carb.

I plan on adding yeast, but how much and what kind is the question

Plenty of options on what yeast to use. The original strain is always a good idea but just about anything will work. For a while I used Nottingham which worked fine but nowadays I use the original strain.

For an idea on the amount, I started with this article on BYO:

Beauty and the Yeast

The Sierra Nevada brewery, for instance, adds only enough yeast to their bottle conditioned beers to get about 250,000 cells/mL, or the equivalent of 1 teaspoon (5 mL) of yeast slurry in a 5-gallon (19 L) batch.

I did some estimating using Mr. Malty and figured that about 25mL out of a 500mL starter would be plenty for a 5 gallon batch so I doubled it to 50mL for good measure. That way I end up with plenty of yeast to do the job but not so much that I end up with a thick layer of sediment in the bottle.

I think I will just add a packet of us-05 to the corn sugar at bottling time. Allow it to sit for an hour or so and activate, pour into my bottling bucket, and rack the beer on top. I would love to get another smack pack of pacman but I dont think I can find one locally

Back