Biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooch48

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some advice about BIAB, I finally got a kettle big enough to try all grain but was thinking about doing the BIAB method to start out. I was curious as to everyones opinion on using BIAB instead of the traditional all-grain methods. Thanks in advance

I've been doing full volume BIAB for about 2 years now. I think I make good beer. BIAB is all grain by the way. I've helped a friend brew with the traditional 3 vessel method and it was fun but I felt it was a lot more work and equipment. He also makes really good beer. What size pot do you have?

I've just started brewing again. With a 5 gallon kettle and doing BIAB, I can mash and boil 3-gallon big beers and 4-gallon "normal" beers (about 4.5% to 5.5% ABV.) That's kind of the limit for my kitchen stove so a bigger kettle wouldn't help.

Someday pretty soon I may scale up a little to something (electric?) that can boil 7 gallons of wort, but I'm having fun brewing less than 5 gallons at a time and just brewing more often. I'm still working on the "more often" part.

I've been doing BIAB for 2 years and am happy sticking with it. I do 5.5 gal batches. By mashing at typical water/grain ratios and reserving some water for mash out and sparge, I have mashed up to 16 lbs of grain in my 9 gal tall boy on my kitchen stove. I use my old 5 gal BK for my mashout and sparge water. Works great and beats sweating/freezing in my garage.

I was hoping to get some advice about BIAB, I finally got a kettle big enough to try all grain but was thinking about doing the BIAB method to start out. I was curious as to everyones opinion on using BIAB instead of the traditional all-grain methods. Thanks in advance

Definitely try BIAB for all grain before committing to the extra equipment required for traditional 3 vessel. Both BIAB and 3 vessel can make great beers. If you like BIAB, you can stay with it forever, and you didn't have to invest in extra equipment that you don't need. If BIAB doesn't fulfill your brew process desires for whatever reason, you can always switch to 3 vessel, and the only piece of equipment that you bought that you no longer need is your BIAB bag (although you can still use it in your MLT if you want.) It's a no lose opportunity. In the end, brew however you want. It is your hobby after all.

Brew on :mug:

Last edited:
with a 10 gallon kettle you are good to go with standard 5 to 5.5G recipes, using full volume BIAB .. as Doug says, give it a go and you can always go 3 vessel if you don't like it

You can also get great information from the BIABrewer site. I use their spreadsheet (BIABacus) and they give a ton of information on BIAB since one of the guys that came up with the idea of BIAB started the site. I've learned a lot from that site and a lot from this site as well. I started with a BIAB kit from Northern Brewer that turned out well. I would recommend getting a good bag. I bought mine from Wilserbrewer and it is much better than the one I started with. Good luck on your adventure, totally worth it.

I switched to BIAB back in August and couldn't be happier. I was doing PM up until then for a year and a half. From my experience with PM I don't see myself going to the traditional 3 vessel system. More work and more things to clean. I find BIAB to be easier and overall a more enjoyable process. I only have 3 brews under my belt but they have all come in at my target numbers. Can't say that was the case with my PM beers. My next purchase will be a mill. I just don't know which one to buy.

I've never done 3 vessel brewing. I started doing BIAB about a year and a half ago. For me it's hard to imagine why I would ever want the extra equipment, work, and cleanup of 3 vessel.

I've got about a dozen batches under my belt now and all have been a step up in quality from my extract days. I'm still learning a ton about water chemistry and the like, but BIAB is no different than 3 vessel in that respect.

I too started BIAB'ing after a couple of PM batches and find all-grain to be much more enjoyable and satisfying. BIAB is a very simple approach to brewing but one that still requires enough attention to detail to satisfy my inner nerd. I really enjoy my brews with BIAB

I have no immediate plans to switch but do envision a three vessel setup in the future. I would only switch if I can have
1: A clean in place setup
2: Single tier
3: Electric setup
4: Partial or full automation

ie: Any change would have to result in less work and greater control over the process. A step on the way would be an electric recirculating mash BIAB system.

I did BIAB for about a year before moving to a 3 vessel gravity system and loved it, the only reason I stopped doing it was because I wanted to make more than 5 gallons at a time.

It's a great way to get into all grain without spending a lot of money.

I do both BIAB and have a 3 vessel HERMS system. I like using them both. The BIAB is nice in the winter I can brew inside. My HERMS system I can make up to 13 gallon batches were my BIAB is limited to 6 max.
If I was starting from scratch I would go with BIAB and then advance off of that if you wanted to.

Back