BIAB Stuck Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virgil1

Reaction score
I had a stuck mash problem with my last brew. I am using a Chugger Pump, usually have it full blast(wide open). I have one of the northern brewer bags(https://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...er-bag-214-214). Its a 14 gallon pot(Bayou Kettle from Amazon). It was recirculating fine for about 45 minutes, then I lifted the lid to check it out, and noticed the water was much higher. The wort from the pump to the top of the kettle was flowing pretty slowly(which is why it didn't build up fast and overflow), even though I had it wide open. It wasn't coming down very fast. I lifted the basket out, with the bag in it, and had it hanging just above the kettle. I used a metal spoon(sanitized) to stir it and it eventually all came out(slowly).

2015-08-22 18.46.59.jpg

2015-08-22 17.09.31.jpg

2015-08-22 17.38.35.jpg

2015-07-31 17.33.48.jpg

Thanks! I just read through that thread. Lots of good ideas. Looking forward to you posting how your brew went. I have a punch from putting my heating element in my Bayou kettle. Might put holes in my basket like you did. Also considered Arbor for a brew filter. I e-mailed him back in June, $175. Would be great if I could just do with what I have for a while. Perhaps a new basket for Xmas.

I did a brew this past week. Things went really well. Unfortunately I did more than one thing different, so not for sure if it was one thing or a combo.
1. Once I put my grain in, I let it sit for several minutes(and stirred). Don't think it was quite 10.
2. I have a new BIAB bag. Bought a Wilserbrewer bag. So much better than my Northern Brewer bag.
3. This grain was from Seven Bridges(organic grain). The batch that stuck was from more beer.
4. I ran the pump 'vertical' with inlet coming in the bottom, outlet through the top(see pic)
5. I used the hop bag from Wilser during my boil. I had the top of the bag hanging out of the pot and tied to the side. I used Muslin bags before that I just tossed in(pretty sure they were sucked to the bottom when the pump was on)

My PID seems to overshoot at first, and I usually shut everything down(pump and heat) while it cools a few mins. I noticed when I shut it off, some of the grain gets sucked out the top and into the pump. Twice when I started the pump, it wasn't working right. I just shut it off, waited a few seconds, and turned it back on. Seemed to push everything back out(into the top). I have some silcone tubing coming in from the top that is probably 8 inches long. Might shorten that or come up with a different solution.

When I was 'boiling', I set it to 210. I had it at 211 and 212, but I had the issue with the pump 'sucking air' as bubbles made it into the pump. 210 was the sweet spot for me. Every 10 seconds or so, it would boil up.

See attached movie.

View attachment beer.mov

Back