BIAB On Top Of Heating Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
I'm working on a 12 gallon brew pot with a 5500watt ripple element for 5 gallon biab batches. If I have NO intention of recirculating or heating the mash while mashing would it be okay to drop the biab in without any false bottom to keep weight off the element? I'm wondering if the bag would put stress or bend the element?

I assume no since we have no vacuum pressure from the pump but wanted to check with y'all before I make an expensive mistake.

Should be fine. Takes a lot to bend those elements. I have two elements in my kettle, but don't fire either during mash (I use a RIMS). Bag goes right on them.

Thanks fellas :mug:

Should be fine. Takes a lot to bend those elements. I have two elements in my kettle, but don't fire either during mash (I use a RIMS). Bag goes right on them.

What's your drain situation for circulation?

Thanks fellas :mug:

What's your drain situation for circulation?

Compression fitting inside the kettle with a shielded dip tube. It keeps the bag away from the dip tube so it doesn't try to suck it up. You could do the same thing with a screen tube.
20170212_122654.jpg

20170212_122705.jpg

Back