BIAB kettle conversion. Bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanAusBrewer

Reaction score
I just bought a 38 L pot for BIAB, where I have previously been using a 15 L pot and doing partial mash 20 L diluted batches. Amazing what a difference it is! I cannot believe I had been undergoing all the extra effort to use a partial mash.

Anyways, thinking about fitting a kettle conversion kit to the bottom of the pot, weldless of course. I want to install a ball valve with a hose barb, connected to a hop bazooka screen on the inside of the kettle. I would also like to install a glass dial thermometer, preferably with a short stem.

What I am wondering is, will having this hardware inside inside the kettle interfere with and possibly rip the grain bag when I am stirring the mash? What do people typically do in this situation?

Thanks in advance.

What I am wondering is, will having this hardware inside inside the kettle interfere with and possibly rip the grain bag when I am stirring the mash? What do people typically do in this situation?

Definitely install the ball valve, it makes life so much easier. I have actually used a 90 street elbow as a dip tube and it drains the kettle basically dry with no tipping. However with a gap as small as mine you must use a hop bag or it will clog, but I like to to that anyways to have less trub.

There is no chance for ripping a bag with this. I am not so sure on the thermowell though, it should be fine for a really short one I imagine.

I got everything at bargainfittings.com, great prices and the kits are customizable.

BgTgETw.jpg

HPVAoUq.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate. I like the look of your setup and was planning on getting one of those elbows too.

I will post back after I get a chance to install the hardware.

I wouldn't bother mounting a kettle thermometer, I think a digital stick thermo works better and can be used to check different spot around the mash to be certain you have even temps.

Some clumsy folks have also been known to snag the bag on the thermo, then rather than simply pushing it clear with a spoon, they get extra help to keep yanking on the bag till its free.

I'm with Wilser I put a thermometer on a kettle last year and regret spending the $$ worse than that I want it gone--I don't have a bag snagging problem the thing just ain't that accurate I have hand helds I trust--the one mounted on the kettle is always 3* high

+1 on not bothering with a dial thermometer.
The one I have reads consistently higher at mash temps
It does give an indication of mash stability though. Minimal benefit IMO. I would not get one if buying again.
Save your money and get a Thermapen.

Thermapen.jpg

+1 on ball balve. I added camlocks and a makeshift diptube to mine

I wouldn't bother with a braid, I don't see this being to your benefit. More work cleaning it. It may well get blocked with hop or break material. I'm guess here though.

Pot with valve and dial thermometerSecured Bag.jpgInsulated Mash.jpg

Dip Tube (of sorts)
dip tube 2.jpg

More info on pimping out your pot for BIAB here.

I have a probe through the pot down low to connect to my control panel(ebiab). If I had to do it over again I would not have bothered with it there. I use a pump to recirculate and I have a second probe that I am going to fit into a T connector at the output of the hose before it goes back into the kettle. Then when I boil I will switch probes and use the internal one to watch as I chill. I have not had a problem with it snagging the bag, but as I said, it is low and only 2" I think. Sorry no pics, @work now.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cool setup Gavin. I like what you did with the insulation.

Ok I made a wholesale order through a friend in the brewing industry so I got a good deal. This is my plan.

Bought the hop bazooka. I also ordered a stainless steel hop spider basket but they are back ordered so I'm going to have to wait on the hop spider. In The meantime I'll give the bazooka a try (it was $6). Once I get the spider, I'll swap out the bazooka for an elbow and barb for a dip tube. Then I can occasionally swap out the bazooka in place of a false bottom if I want to use it as a mash tun, say if I need to collect first runnings for caramelisation.

I also got a bulkhead for a temperature probe, not sure if I'll install it but also got a digital oven thermometer with a cable for the probe. I figured this would be more accurate than the standard dial.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Screenshot_2015-09-08-22-33-37.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys. Cool setup Gavin. I like what you did with the insulation.

Ok I made a wholesale order through a friend in the brewing industry so I got a good deal. This is my plan.

Bought the hop bazooka. I also ordered a stainless steel hop spider basket but they are back ordered so I'm going to have to wait on the hop spider. In The meantime I'll give the bazooka a try (it was $6). Once I get the spider, I'll swap out the bazooka for an elbow and barb for a dip tube. Then I can occasionally swap out the bazooka in place of a false bottom if I want to use it as a mash tun, say if I need to collect first runnings for caramelisation.

I also got a bulkhead for a temperature probe, not sure if I'll install it but also got a digital oven thermometer with a cable for the probe. I figured this would be more accurate than the standard dial.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I've only used my oven/cable thermometer twice but love it. I really like setting the temp for strike water and it beeping when it hits. I've also set it at the lower range for a warning of dropping temp and whirlpooling and chilling.

Latest posts

Back