BIAB Efficiency & Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culln5

Reaction score
I figured I would start a general discussion about your efficiency and method of BIAB so that we can all see the different techniques and posibley increase our own efficiency or streamline our process...... Or it could be the homebrew talking and I like to type when I drink...... Either way here is how my "general brew day" goes.....

• Heat X.XX gallons of water to XXX degrees and add the bag and grains
  • Mash for 1 hour (stirring every 10-15 minutes)
  • Hang, drain, and moderately squeeze the bag
  • Transfer the mash into the primary bucket
  • Heated X.XX gallons of water to 168 and added the bag grains
  • Batch Sparge for 15 minutes (stirring often)
  • Hang, drain, and moderately squeeze the bag
  • Add the mash volume back to the kettle
  • 60 Minute boil

I set my Brewhouse Efficiency to 75% and typically meet or exceed that. For a typical 10-12 pound grain bill I will mash in 5 gallons of water and batch sparge in 4-5 gallons. My boil volume will be in the area of 8-9 gallons, yielding 5.25 gallons into the fermentor.

I am building a brew cart (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f253/biab-brew-stand-503591/) that will allow me to use two kettles and use my time more efficiently. I am also toying with the idea of decreasing my mash time to 30 minutes.

How 'bout you?

George

• Heat ~ 7.9 gallons of water to 160'ish* F and add the bag and grains
  • Mash for 1 hour (stirring every 10-15 minutes) at about 152*F
  • Hang, drain, and moderately squeeze the bag over kettle while it heats to boil
  • 60 Minute boil

I get about 75% efficiency this way. More if I squeezed like hell. This gets me to 5.5 gallons in the fermenter.

Back