BIAB - Commercial scale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmance

Reaction score
Hi

Just curious, has this ever been done? I'm not talking 20bbl systems, but nano brewery 2bbl system or so?

Sure loss in efficiency, but when you price out a 2/3bbl commercial brewery mashtun/kettle etc. it would take years (if not decades) for the loss in conversion efficiency to make up for the extra cost associated with a canned commercial brewing system. Also, from a running cost perspective, I image it would take more energy to run a mashtun/brew kettle than just a boil kettle/pumps as needed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!:mug:

Speidel now makes a 1000 leiter or 8BBL version! It converts to 55k USD. I cant find any info or video of a commercial brewery in the US using one though?

There's a brewery here in palm springs area that uses a 10bbl biab system, forget the name of it, but it was impressive setup. :mug:

Im so curious as a homebrewer how this would translate. If it works I wonder why its not more common. Seems easier and takes up way less space...so curious to see one of these 4-10BBL eBIAB systems in operation!

I spent quite some time watching all the Brewha videos and reading all the info on their website and I am impressed to say the least! It really seems that the support they offer and the cohesive product line makes this a very viable option for opening a small nano brewery or brew pub!

Im so curious as a homebrewer how this would translate. If it works I wonder why its not more common. Seems easier and takes up way less space...so curious to see one of these 4-10BBL eBIAB systems in operation!
Guessing part of the reason is that it's not as traditional - even if someone does that as a homebrewer, they don't think about it as full scale.
And another part is working with the grain after mash. at homebrew scale, 5 gallons, you're still looking at 25-30 lbs wet, multiply that out 20 or 40 times, and that's some serious hardware needed to get that up and out of the kettle, plus something to put it in / on to reduce mess from it dripping out.

The thing I don't like about any of these all in one systems is it is tied up until you move the beer elsewhere. It's great for a small footprint, but not an efficient process unless you are cool with just one batch of beer, especially if you serve out of it as well. I really like BIAB process for all grain, but still like having a separate fermenter and serving kegs.

Which is harder, lifting all the weight or draining and sparging? For 5 gallons I can lift by hand so it makes sense, but to get what is needed to hoist a large quantity sounds backwards. Liquid will move on its own.

And speaking of lifting 10 dry pounds of wet grain, my BIAB is about 5 minutes away from finishing the mash. Better go check. And that reminds me, I redid my kitchen and I don't have the kitchen chairs that I stood on anymore. I have to get the step stool.

The thing I don't like about any of these all in one systems is it is tied up until you move the beer elsewhere. It's great for a small footprint, but not an efficient process unless you are cool with just one batch of beer, especially if you serve out of it as well. I really like BIAB process for all grain, but still like having a separate fermenter and serving kegs.

I don't see any reason you can't use separate fermenters.

Take a bit of time to watch some of Brewha's videos. Its really an inovative system. You are basically mashing, boiling and fermenting all in the same vessel. YOu buy one mash collander and multiple fermentation vessels. Its hard to explain but makes perfect sence after visiting thier website. I think its awesome!

Buck Bald Brewing in Copperhill Tennessee uses a Colorado Brewing Systems 3 BBL system with a winch. They make great beer and are really cool people also.

Attachments

• 75FB8C24-0394-4BFD-9891-74537177782C.jpeg
    75FB8C24-0394-4BFD-9891-74537177782C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
  • B00530D4-C0EF-4372-8DC0-B5EA3E7CBD17.jpeg
    B00530D4-C0EF-4372-8DC0-B5EA3E7CBD17.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 103
  • ED6D513E-0BA2-44BC-9A6C-E7E0CDAA7549.jpeg
    ED6D513E-0BA2-44BC-9A6C-E7E0CDAA7549.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 106
  • 19F24F8F-0470-4F71-8C67-8CEDC6C05F95.jpeg
    19F24F8F-0470-4F71-8C67-8CEDC6C05F95.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • 755DD342-ECA2-4182-B675-2A7772705437.jpeg
    755DD342-ECA2-4182-B675-2A7772705437.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 107
  • 17FD211C-4575-47D9-8F27-2A265505A50D.jpeg
    17FD211C-4575-47D9-8F27-2A265505A50D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 105
I looked at that BrewHa system some time ago, and I still don't get it. The only advantage I see is footprint. But if you are building a brewery and are that confined in space, you picked the wrong location.

This system just doesn't scale economically. I'd bet the Colorado system and a single fermenter costs less than BrewHa. Then if I want to scale I just add fermenters, which would be cheaper than another BrewHa.

Am I off on my pricing assumptions?

I looked at that BrewHa system some time ago, and I still don't get it. The only advantage I see is footprint. But if you are building a brewery and are that confined in space, you picked the wrong location.

This system just doesn't scale economically. I'd bet the Colorado system and a single fermenter costs less than BrewHa. Then if I want to scale I just add fermenters, which would be cheaper than another BrewHa.

I agree it's very pricey especially for what it is however the 7bbl system makes more sense than the smaller systems financially, 7BBL system with the fermenter for 30K is an aggressive price point but additional tanks are more money than traditional fermenters at the same time. I also agree it's for someone very limited on space trying to force a space to work. I am not really a fan of the system however it did address the OP's post (better late than never) and it seems a few places out there are using it with success and they do have a point with it being self sanitizing.

I

If you only did one type of beer at a time it may make sense but I think with two fermenters it would not make sense and certainly does not make sense wehn you consider going to 4 or 5 fermenters like most small breweries run.

Back