BIAB basket size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfwayBrews

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing 5 gallon batches for a while using biab in a 10 gallon pot. I started using a pulley system to drain the bag but it looks like a lot of stress on the bag/string and looks like it’s going to give out soon.
I was thinking of buying a stock pot strainer basket and putting the bag in that and then drop the basket in the pot. I can use the basket handle for the pulley.
Can anyone recommend what size stock pot basket I should get for around 12-14 pounds of grain?
Was looking at the 40 qt as this will fit perfect in my boil pot, but wanted to be sure on the grain.

I've been using a 'Brew-in-a-bag' bag for ~4 years. The straps sewn into it are very strong and I don't see any signs of stress/strain on the bag. I also use a 3/8", 250lbs rated locking ratchet that is more than strong enough to support the bag, and I don't see any signs of it wearing out. I tend to brew ~15 5 gallon batches a year. Using those items might meet your needs without using a stock pot strainer that will often extend far down into your kettle/pot and not keep the bag above the level of wort.

Another idea is to use a 'chinese colander'. They are not as deep as a stock pot strainer, and they have a wide lip on the top. I have a 15" Winco chinese colander that sits perfectly on my kettle to hold my BIAB bag. I used it before I went with a locking ratchet.
EDIT: just read your 12 - 14 lb requirement. The Winco basket will hold 12lb (dry) grain just fine. A BIAB with 18lb grain bill is definitely well over the top and requires special balancing. ;)

Good luck!

Last edited:
What brand of bag are you using? Both the Wilser bags and BrewBag are quite robust, and are unlikely to fail unless they show signs of significant damage. Generic bags (esp. paint strainer bags) are not as robust.

Personally, I am a big fan of Wilser bags, and Wilser is a HBT sponsor.

If you are going to use a basket, you want the basket to be the biggest one that will fit in your pot. Minimizing the volume outside of the basket gets more of the mash water involved in the gelatinization/conversion process, and helps keep the mash from getting too thick. Water outside the basket can reduce lauter efficiency, unless steps are taken to thoroughly homogenize all of the wort in the kettle before final draining of the bag/basket.

I used to use a basket to hold the bag, but prefer the naked bag.

Brew on :mug:

yes, the bags are quite strong. But I do prefer a basket to hold my bag. It really helps out if you want to sparge. You can hoist the basket and then sparge the grain bed after it has drained to boost efficiency. Then after that you can hoist the bag for final drain and squeeze.

I found the widest steamer basket that would fit my kettle. Everything that Doug said. Any water outside the bag isn't doing anything for you. I do use a small pump to recirc so that is no longer an issue.

Another thing that will help is to close the sides of the basket so that all the wort must flow down thru the grain and not pour out the side holes. A roll of metal flashing works well for this.

IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6963.JPG

yes, the bags are quite strong. But I do prefer a basket to hold my bag. It really helps out if you want to sparge. You can hoist the basket and then sparge the grain bed after it has drained to boost efficiency. Then after that you can hoist the bag for final drain and squeeze.

I found the widest steamer basket that would fit my kettle. Everything that Doug said. Any water outside the bag isn't doing anything for you. I do use a small pump to recirc so that is no longer an issue.

Another thing that will help is to close the sides of the basket so that all the wort must flow down thru the grain and not pour out the side holes. A roll of metal flashing works well for this.

View attachment 814967View attachment 814968View attachment 814969View attachment 814970

I don't use a strainer, but I do like using an old brew bucket with holes drilled throughout the bottom and several inches up the sides. I use my ratching hoist to raise the bag a bit fot the first run-off into the kettle (a minute or so) and then raise and lower the bag into my bucket which I sit on a Grill Grate on top of the kettle (grate cost all of $18 on Amazon and I have the bucket. This way I don't interfere with mash water and have the grain bag sitting in the bucket that I can squeeze down like heck to get the most out of my mashing.

I thought of going the route you did but then worried that with the strainer almost the same diameter as the kettle that too much wort would miss the kettle (from the sides of the strainer) - I like the bucket with only the bottom available to drain into my kettle.

Just another option for what it is worth.

But I do prefer a basket to hold my bag. It really helps out if you want to sparge. You can hoist the basket and then sparge the grain bed after it has drained to boost efficiency. Then after that you can hoist the bag for final drain and squeeze.
+1

Sorry for getting back to this late, but I posted a reply last week, but don’t see it…
I’m using some cheap brew bags from Amazon with nothing but a draw string. I’ll consider upgrading a bag with the straps.

@terrypratt1 – You mentioned you use a brew bucket, I assume this is plastic. Is it okay to use plastic while brewing? I know the water isn’t boiling, but just never thought to use anything by Aluminum or SS.
Another reason I was leaning towards some type of basket was to insert some 3 inch bolts sticking out of the bottom to get the basket off the bottom. This way I can fire up the flame when temps drop and not worry about the bag on direct heat.
If is stay with the bag w/straps, I’ll want to figure out a way to keep the bag off the bottom.

I like the idea of sealing any holes on the side of the basket. When I hoist my bag, I have to do it in small increments otherwise the wort drips off the side of my pot. Lost wort is bad!
I do have an old 7.5 gallon SS pot (my first brew pot). I may use and drill a bunch of holes in it.

Back