BIAB and extract pot options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Im looking to add a smaller stainless pot to my brewing equipment. Id like it to serve two purposes. Im currently brewing 5 gAllon all grain with a 9 gal pot on an outdoor burner, but want a weldless pot I can brew extract and 2.5 gal biab batches on an electric range. My setup works great, but I just wan something I can do the occasional indoor brew or test batch on.

Is a 5 gallon pot big enough? Too big? Should it be tall and slender or short and fat for biab brewing? How much water can I boil on an electric range? My largest burners are about 9 inches.

I'm currently in the exact position. I want to start doing 3-3.5 gallon BIAB batches in the kitchen. Cheaper, easier, slightly quicker and less beer to experiment with. I'm looking at the 8 gallon Mega pot from NB. For a simple 3.5 gallon IPA, beersmith says 6.5 gallon tun capacity so a 7 gallon pot would be about perfect but don't seem to find many of those. I think maybe a 5 gallon pot with a dunk sparge at the end might work.
I'll keep and eye on this thread, I'd like to hear other recommendations.

Hello, Just a suggestion, I would try using your 9 gal pot on the stove first, I have a 15 gal pot I use on my electric stove for indoor brewing, it dose cover 2 burners and I use both, and I have to block up the pot with metal blocks on the other side, but it works!

Cheers :tank:

Hello, Just a suggestion, I would try using your 9 gal pot on the stove first, I have a 15 gal pot I use on my electric stove for indoor brewing, it dose cover 2 burners and I use both, and I have to block up the pot with metal blocks on the other side, but it works!

Cheers :tank:

That's something to think about. I'll have to check it out when I get home. Im thinking my pot is about 14 inches in diamater. Its pretty squat compared to others ive seen, but I'm not sure if it will fit across two burners.

Another reason I was thinking about a 5 gallon weldless pot is for seafood. I want to avoid boiling seafood in a pot with valves and threadded fittings. My next biggest pot in the kitches in 2 gallons.

I'm currently in the exact position. I want to start doing 3-3.5 gallon BIAB batches in the kitchen. Cheaper, easier, slightly quicker and less beer to experiment with. I'm looking at the 8 gallon Mega pot from NB. For a simple 3.5 gallon IPA, beersmith says 6.5 gallon tun capacity so a 7 gallon pot would be about perfect but don't seem to find many of those. I think maybe a 5 gallon pot with a dunk sparge at the end might work.
I'll keep and eye on this thread, I'd like to hear other recommendations.

Thats encouraging. I may be able to get away with a 5 gal pot for 2.5 gallon batches then...

I do only 2.5 gal size batches. All BIAB. I have done about 20 of them. I use a 16 quart (4 gal) aluminum IMUSA pot. It is easy to store, heats and cools fast, fits nicely on a burner, and I can use it for other things. Lobster, corn, etc. Usually I have to top off the keg with some water after the boil, but I still get 70+% efficency consistently.

I do only 2.5 gal size batches. All BIAB. I have done about 20 of them. I use a 16 quart (4 gal) aluminum IMUSA pot. It is easy to store, heats and cools fast, fits nicely on a burner, and I can use it for other things. Lobster, corn, etc. Usually I have to top off the keg with some water after the boil, but I still get 70+% efficency consistently.

Awesome... looks like 4 or 5 gal will do just fine. Do you have an electric range?

"Awesome... looks like 4 or 5 gal will do just fine. Do you have an electric range?"

Yes. Just a regular kitchen elrctric range. Has no trouble getting the water to boil using just one of the larger burners. I usually back off on the power a little during the hop boil and it is still "vigorous"

I use a cheapo-aluminium 7.5 gal pot from Academy Sports. I used a cheapo ($1) towel and some duct insulation to make sleeve that slides on the outside of the pot. I can get a full 6.5 gallon boil going on a plain old electric range pretty easily, and even turn it down to about 3/4 power if I'm doing a full boil (like Billsea said)

I dont think the pot cost more than about $20

Back