BG12 vs BG14 burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erikn68

Reaction score
I am building my own brewing stand, but for the burner I am thinking of the bg12 or the bg14. The BG12 is a 6 inched orface and the a high regulator hose and the bg14 is a 10 inch orface. My question is will the bg12 have enough btus to boil 8.5 gallons of wort from the starting pre-boil or not? I am thinking since I will need three burners that the cost difference is about $75 for one. But if it cannot I will get one bg14 for the boil and the 12 for mash and hlt.

Thanks

Erik

I cant comment on the bg12, but I have 2 bg14s for my hlt and bk, and they work great. I have the natural gas orifice.
I am not direct firing my mt, but I have heard that it is easy to overshoot your mark with the larger burner.
I got mine from brewers hardware, but you can get them at NB as well.

A quick search for the burner only is $13 for the BG 12 and $36 for the BG 14. Based on what TeamAshBrewing said I would probably go with the 14s for the HLT and BK and a 12 for the mash tun if you heat it at all.

The BG 14 is 10 inch wide so it will heat your pot more evenly. The BG 12 is only 6 inches wide.

I have BG12's on my system they work fine for me. Took about 35 min to bring 12 gallons to a boil. I have a 10-psi regulator with a #57 orifice.

one thing i learned when building my stand was plan for expansion where you can , while im sure you can get by just fine with the 12's , if you use 14's , the batches you do now will be a little quicker and have the ability to go to larger pots/batches if and when you decide to. i have 3 12's i never used if you want them, pm me

Back