BeverageAir BM23 connundrum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roguescotbrewing

Reaction score
Hey guys. Working on a 41 year old BM23 I picked up for a song. ($45 at a thrift store!). Needed a freon charge (yeah, I know R-12 hasn't been used in eons. Old habits...), so got her looked at, vented,and recharged with R-401. She cooled like a champ for a couple of months, then the gremlins struck. She started OVERcooling. Then started to trip the overload, even on "1". So... replaced starter relay, overload AND temp control... and much to my chagrin, bupkus. Compressor fan kicks on, evap fan runs, but nada from the compressor. Am I to face my fears and source a new compressor for the old gal? I am at a total loss.

Your call, Brother.

If it were me, and I had a clear shot @ the compressor, and my dead blow hammer that I have sitting on my toolbox, after the unit had been off a while,...... I would re-start it to the conditions you mentioned before, and after 30 seconds or so, smack the compressor one good time, and see if it frees up.
Don't smack it on the "domed" area of the compressor housing, smack it near the flange "bead", where the housing halves are joined.

But that's just me.
When something doesn't work, that I think might be frozen or locked up, it's gettin' a few good smacks, before I give it last rites!

Edit: " knackered"?.............Are you "across the pond"?...... : )

Nah. Just an ex-pat Mississippian that worked many years with Brits and Aussies before moving to the DC burbs. And after giving the compressor a couple good thumps, in the words of Dr. Leonard McCoy... it's dead, Jim. I have a feeling my old unit did not play nice with the R-409. At least I know where to get an R134 compressor fairly cheap. Just annoying to know that it *did* work... if briefly.

Ok... calling around to see who can do what I need on the BM23. First place I called got back to me, aaand... felt like he was tapdancing around the issue. Said that the capillary tube or expansion valve could be to blame if it is an original R12. Said an R134 compressor wouldn't work, blah-blah-blah. Needless to say, not impressed with this guy and wouldn't pay a dime to get him to work on it. That said, is there some truth to what he said? If I replace the compressor, do I need to do the cap tube? Or was I being strung along? Really want to know what I need before dropping any cash.

Bumping this. Any of y'all done a DIY compressor changeout on one of these before? Something a ham-fisted yutz like myself could tackle with minimal cursing?

Progress report: On a hunch, I went back and reinstalled the old relay, and *poof*! Compressor fired right up! Did some digging, and apparently even though it was correct part number, it WASN'T the correct relay! I hunted down a replacement 3AAR12PB5, no easy feat being damn near obsolete, installed it... and she works! Although, I now have a new temp controller that doesn't play nice with the older relay, since I also reinstalled my original 'stat. She cycles nicely, is holding at a perfect 36F, and purrs!

All I need is a gas bottle and a sixth barrel!

Back