Better for DIY Kegerator: Chest Freezer or Upright Freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianDorry55

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm looking into building my first kegerator here in the next week or two and I'm trying to decide whether to use a chest freezer or an upright freezer. I'm finding affordable options on craigslist in both styles...I'm looking for something that will fit 5 corny kegs. I've seen that for chest freezers you need about 10 cubic feet or more and I'm seeing upright freezers in the 55-56 inches tall range which should work fine. Does anyone have any opinions on the benefit of going with either style? I want my taps on the side of the freezer not the top by the way.

Thanks for any help!

I prefer chest freezers, not a fan of a bulky upright. You lose less cold air when you open them and the top makes a nice storage area for your pint glasses, liquor, etc. There are lots of plans floating around online to convert it to a "keezer" with taps up front. Then if you ever want to upgrade to something else, it can go back to being a normal freezer again.

I ended up going with a chest freezer. I was having difficulty with getting very clear beer, so I wanted to have the ability to put two carboys into the keezer to cold crash them. I went with a 14.8 cubic foot unit to provide room for kegs and carboys.

It really comes down to how you intend to use the unit.

My build was simple...nothing fancy.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/one-more-keezer-world-384032/

Since this thread is current... Just wondering if it has had a significant impact on your electricity bill?

Just wondering as I am planning a ferm chamber soon and have been debating a freezer for a while

Since this thread is current... Just wondering if it has had a significant impact on your electricity bill?

Just wondering as I am planning a ferm chamber soon and have been debating a freezer for a while

My freezer had an estimated annual usage cost on it at $38 per year. Old units could be considerably more.

Thanks man that's a great write-up. How many kegs/carboys can you fit in your freezer with the co2 tank? I was going to buy a separate/smaller chest freezer solely for cold crashing so I can adjust my temps without effecting my kegs...and so I can also use it to ferment beers that need to be a little colder (who can afford to cool their house below 73 degrees in Florida?). Is the collar absolutely necessary?

I ended up going with a chest freezer. I was having difficulty with getting very clear beer, so I wanted to have the ability to put two carboys into the keezer to cold crash them. I went with a 14.8 cubic foot unit to provide room for kegs and carboys.

It really comes down to how you intend to use the unit.

My build was simple...nothing fancy.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/one-more-keezer-world-384032/

^ That was to you.

Also, dont buy a used fridge or freezer from craig's list. If you're going to put the money into a nice keezer, you dont want the freezer dying after 6 months. Spend a little more and buy a brand new one.

Also, dont buy a used fridge or freezer from craig's list. If you're going to put the money into a nice keezer, you dont want the freezer dying after 6 months. Spend a little more and buy a brand new one.

Agree. Also the same reason that I used the BillyBrew approach in case I needed to have warranty work done. Saw another post of someone who put a ton of work into a used model that ultimately did not work.

I got a nice kenmore upright frostless freezer on craigslist 4 years ago thats still going strong. It's just wide enough that I'm able to fit three cornies side by side in the back, and a fourth and my nitrogen tank in front of those (large co2 tank is outside). On the top shelf, which I've got reenforced, I can hold a carboy for lagering and a case or so of beer. Wouldn't have done it any differently.

Chest for keezer, upright for ferm chamber.

When taking kegs out of a keezer, they're empty. Ferm chamber, they're full both ways.

If I had unlimited space, I would have rather had a keezer. However, the space at my house (at least the space that is available for my boozery) is limited. So, I chose the upright refrigerator. This took up less horizontal space, and I could fit a wire shelving unit on top of my kegerator for additional space. If I had a keezer, it would take up more room, and I couldn't stack stuff on top unless I was willing to move it all if I needed to open the keezer lid. One additional advantage of the fridge is that I have the freezer available for frosted mugs for my blonde ales and pilsners, storage for my hops, and ice for mixed drinks.

I strongly disagree with this, unless money isn't an issue. If you have money to get whatever you want, absolutely go new.

However, if need to save money, but still want a kegerator/keezer setupd, CL is the way to go. I'm a poor medical student, with two kids, too much student loan debt, and too many hobbies. Used was the way to go. I got my fridge on CL for free. I then sunk precisely $0 into drilling the holes for my taps. If it dies tomorrow I have the option to buy new or peruse CL for another good deal. I can then drill a few more holes and transfer over everything except my stickers and the only cost I have is disposal of the broken fridge... And this is assuming I can't fix it, and I'm pretty good with fixing mechanical stuff.

Same goes for a keezer build. Building a collar isn't exactly rocket science, and doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

Just from a tool standpoint I went with a chest freezer. I didn't want to have to drill four holes through the door of an upright and buy all the tools required for that.

That being said, I have had to become quite the handyman in the last year .

17 cubic foot upright can hold 8 or 10 kegs. You won’t have to open the door very often. It’s also easier to load/unload kegs out of an upright. Add to it the entire door can be used for storing bottles or glassware you have my preferrred choice. I have a dedicated kegerator from Costco but if I ever need to make a bigger one I’m going with an upright. I got mine off craigslist for $50 and it’s never given me a problem. It has to be a frost free unit though as the kind with the metal shelves have the coolant going through them. No need to make a collar and you could build a two tier shelf from some PVC and a piece of plywood.

Buying a hole saw is pretty cheap. About as cheap as buying some lumber, gasket material, and a hole saw. I don’t see how it needs many tools other than a drill.

Latest posts

Back