Better Bottle warning!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godrick

Reaction score
Nuts!
So I was filling my picnic cooler mash tun with hot water (@176*) to pre-heat it for my mash-in. When I'd added the 7 gal I discovered that the o-ring on my drain valve was leaking, and in a panic I looked around for something to transfer the water into that would keep it clean while I fixed the o-ring. Bingo, my Better Bottle! Transferred, fixed the o-ring in a flash, and prepared to pour the water back into the mash tun. Ahhhhhh! My Better Bottle was melted like Gumby left standing out in the hot sun, shrunken by three or four inches and leaning drunkenly to one side.
Note to self: Better Bottles will not withstand hot water, not even for a few minutes. NUTS!

Dude! Really?? That sucks! Do you have something else in which to ferment, or did you have to call off brewday?

It's all good Van, I've got plenty of buckets. It just hurt to see the Better Bottle go down like that. It was an old friend that I thought would be around years & years. In an instant it was gone!

Pounding the IPA in sorrow.:mug:

The better bottle has a sticker that says don't go over 140F on it.

I melted a BB just trying to clean it out with hot tap water and oxiclean. Turns out my hot tap water is hotter than 140F.

At least it wasn't a glass carboy. Drastic temp changes have been known to cause shatters.

don't drink that chemical laden sludge you just created with plastic and whatever wort you poured in there. mmmmmm polycarbonated.

Note to self...Eliminate as much glass as possible to increase safety. Reduce all plastics, except silicone, due to cancer leaching chemicals and inability to handle brewer's temp needs. Move to all stainless steel and silicon. Base entire home brewery on a 3 gallon increment system. End note. ;)

I did that once. Only difference is my wort did it. Newbie mistake. Could have been worse. At least it wasn't glass.

Latest posts

Back