Better Bottle Scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyB

Reaction score
So, i got a 6 gallon better bottle carboy recently and I fermented a batch of beer in it and it worked out pretty well. Now though, after cleaning it, I believe I see a few scratches on the inside of the bottle from the carboy brush. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is extremely easy to scratch the Better Bottle carboys. Am I perhaps just being paranoid? Also, if someone has noticed a few scratches on the inside of their better bottle, I was wondering if they made another batch using the carboy and if there were any infection issues with that batch. I have a glass carboy and so if the better bottle is unusable, it's not the end of the world, but I would be pretty sad. Thanks for the help!

Well, I immediately looked it up and found out that I wasn't supposed to use a carboy brush. SO, then that just leaves the second part of my question. Can I use it for another fermentation or do I toss it and chalk it up to a learning experience?

Personally, I'd use it until it proved to be a problem. I would however take a bit of extra care in cleaning & sanitizing it before fermenting in it from now on.

Personally, I'd use it until it proved to be a problem. I would however take a bit of extra care in cleaning & sanitizing it before fermenting in it from now on.

+1

To be a bit cautious you might brew an inexpensive recipe in case there is any problem, then it wouldn't be as big a loss if things go bad.

Agreed. Plastic is porous, but if you sanitize well like you are supposed to and in this case let the sanitizer sit for a while longer then I don't see it as a problem.

Rev.

Latest posts

Back