Better Bottle questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tspilker

Reaction score
So is there any reason to buy the 5 gallon better bottles when the 6 are available for a small price more? This should give you more headspace on a 5 gallon brew right?

Also, I see that some have valves, but they require another expensive part to work? I guess I am missing the point. Can't you just get the regular and siphon?

What about a cheap source for them? I see morebeer.com sells the 6 gallon for just under $26, so two of them and another item gives you over $60 so its free shipping.

I guess I'm just wondering where you get yours at.

Go with the bigger ones for more headspace. The valves and drains are liked by some but others have not been impressed. A regular siphon is how I do it. Check all of the online retailers on HBT for the best deal and mabye any local homebrew suppliers you might have. I found Better Bottles a lot cheaper locally.

Go with the bigger ones for more headspace. The valves and drains are liked by some but others have not been impressed. A regular siphon is how I do it. Check all of the online retailers on HBT for the best deal and mabye any local homebrew suppliers you might have. I found Better Bottles a lot cheaper locally.

My LBHS only carries the 3 gal ones. I try to avoid giving them business for the most part though because they are pretty obtuse about hearing other ways of doing things. Im sure they have some reason for not really carrying the better bottles "Pfft, you need glass, not plastic." Also they generally have much more expensive prices than online retailers even with shipping.

I have a 5 gallon and a six that came with my original homebrewing setup.... I need to get more 6's the only thing the 5 is used for is meads/apfelwien or if I need to do a secondary for some crazy reason.... (1.080+ beer??)

for the price of the spigots for the BB's you can buy another BB.... waste of time /money.....

that reminds me... I need to get more 6 gallon BB's LOL!!!

My advice: Use the 6 gallon BB's for primaries and the 5 gallon BB's for secondaries. You want the extra headspace on your primaries and the process of fermentation will push out any O2. Not so with the secondaries.

Back