Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plastic-carboy-744.jpg

Manufacturer - Better Bottle, Div. High-Q Inc.

Price Payed: $30.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Unbreakable, lightweight, cost only slightly more than glass
Cons: they melt, they can scratch

Better-Bottle fermentation carboys are:
1) Unbreakable and tough,
2) Taste- and Odor-free,
3) Virtually impermeable to oxygen,
4) Clear and colorless,
5) Incredibly lightweight, and more . . .
They are made from special, scientifically tested, polyethylene terephthalate (PET) copolymer plastic that is non-absorbing, non-porous, and non-wetting (hydrophobic), so it does not carry over flavors from one batch of wine or beer to the next and it is easy to clean and sanitize. Optional, racking adapters and valves make oxygen-free racking and dispensing simple and convenient " no siphoning is necessary. Optional closures that use O-rings to make tighter seals are more easily cleaned and sanitized that conventional stoppers.
I love my Better Bottles, specifically for the unbreakableness. I'll never have to worry about accidentally bumping a glass carboy into the side of the tub while pouring what out, and ending up with a pile of glass shards.
I use them for both beers and meads, and will eventually use them for wines. I was a little worried originally about aging something for a long time in plastic, but after 4 months, I notice no off flavors.
The only problem is that you cannot use a carboy brush to clean them as it can scratch the plastic. This put me in a bad position when I ended up with some dried on hop residue that wouldn't come off with just water. I eventually got it off by fashioning my own carboy brush out of an old t-shirt (so it left no scratches), but not before I had attempted to loosen the residue with some very hot (just off boiling) water.
That was a bad idea, and now I have a 6 gallon BB with a sunken in side, although it still works fine.
plastic-carboy-744.jpg

im liking it so far. no big issues like how its clear so i can see the brew inside
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: first time using it
Cons: none so far
better then 2 liter bottles

The Better Bottle is the industries answer to the standard glass carboy. One can now watch their brews ferment through a clear device without having the worries of broken glass. The downside is that cleaning is a bit more difficult in that bottle brushes can leave scratches that hold bacterias and can cause infections. More soaking and gentler cleaning is required for Better Bottles. All in all, I use mine for secondary fermentation vessels only because I prefer the ease of mixing in a bucket. For others, it is not the same. Regardless, if you do secondary fermentations and have concerns of broken glass this is the way to go.
Price Payed: $25.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Clear so that you can watch fermentation. Easy to rack into. Lighter weight and less fragile than glass.
Cons: More difficult to clean than a standard glass carboy or pale.

A better bottle carboy is a must have for any brewer. it is not glass so it will not break on you, and it is clear so it is much better than a bucket. all in all this is a great tool to have.
Price Payed: $23.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: it very easy to keep an eye on the fermentation process because it is clear.
Cons: If you dont have the carboy handle extra it can be awkward to move once full.

Lightweight food grade plastic bottle that has structural features built-in to make it sturdier that other plastic bottles. Useful as primary for fermenting juice or secondary or bulk aging. Has no handle for carrying but that would make it hard to clean. Use a carboy handle that attaches to the carboy neck or nylon strap carrier. I like it, have had no problems with it and would recommend it to others.
Price Payed: $27.00
Recommended? Yes
Pros: Lightweight and shatterproof.
Cons: Harder to clean but not too bad. Easily scratched so have to be careful.

Back