Better airlock designs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antiteam

Reaction score
I'm looking for a better airlock solution that's easier to clean but still allows for fermenter overflow. Three piece airlocks are easy to clean, but poor with overflow. Double bubble airlocks are great with overflow, but can be difficult to clean easily on the inside.

I either heard about or imagined a twin bubble design that could be opened up and cleaned directly. Has anyone ever heard of something like that or did I completely make that up?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

Anyone have experience with the type that's a bung with a flexible silicone lid that relieves pressure? I believe NB sells them.

I forget what size hose it is, but I use a rubber hose that has the exact same outer diameter as the inside diameter of the carboy, and run that into a small bucket of sanitized water. Ridiculously easy to clean, and definitely allows for blow off. There are people that attach a hose to the inside of a three piece air lock, too, which is easy to clean.

Blow off tube is the easiest to clean, and obviously works well with blow offs. Lacking that, you can always hook up a piece of smaller diameter (forget the size) tubing to the stem inside a 3 piece, and then after a day or two remove it and use the 3 piece as you normally would.

I use 3 piece airlocks 99% of the time with no issues.

I've used many types of blow-off tubes (tube on the 3pc body, tube fit in the stopper hole, large diameter tube stuck in carboy neck). Agree that they work great for blowoff, but all of the gunk that can get in there and dry out can be a nuisance to clean. Just wondering if there's a different solution that's exposes all surfaces open so they're simple to clean off. Maybe what I need is just a long brush and a good soak.

I soak the main piece of the "3-piece" & the blow off hose in Oxy-Clean; works good for me.

I've had oxy clean work well many times. Have also come across some very stubborn stock on crud.

Latest posts

Back