Best Way to Use Fresh Raspberries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vandulus

Chief Crackpot
Reaction score
So this year I'll be blessed with an over-abundance of black and red raspberries from the garden for a change. Since it looks like we'll have more than we'll use through normal means, I wanted to brew a raspberry amber ale: Purple Ninja. It'll be dark purple and kick the ever-living schintz out of you before you realize it (aiming for 7.5% ABV). While I've got most of the ingredients planned out, I'm trying to figure how best to introduce the raspberries into the mix. My main concern is keeping the wild yeasties at bay so it doesn't end up as a sour.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
1) Rinse them off really well to get rid of debris and varmints
2) Soak them whole in cold water with Campden tablet to kill of any wild yeast
3) Smash them up with a potato masher
4) After primary, split the batch between two carboys
5) Add 2 lbs to each half of the 5 gallon batch (.8 lb per gallon)
6) Leave in secondary for 10-14 days
7) Siphon the finished beer into a bottling bucket for priming and bottling

Any drawbacks to this approach or better ways of doing this? Too much/little raspberries? Any feedback is appreciated!

IMO too little, but I like a lot of fruit character in my fruit beers. I'd do minimum 1lbs/gallon. For sanitizing, I use the powdered potassium metabisulfite but campden tablets should work fine too. Based on one of the BN podcast interviews (can't remember which one) I dissolved 1/8 teaspoon of potassium metabisulfite into about 1/4 cup water, then poured it over the fruit. Stir occasionally and leave it to sit overnight so it can off gas and you should be good to go.

Latest posts

Back