Best Way To Transfer Mash Into Lauter Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a hefeweizen that has four steps: dough in at 99, protein at 122, one hour at 145 and then mash out at 170.

I normally use a 10 gallon cooler as my mash tun but I wouldn't be able to do all of the steps with hot water infusions. So I'm going to mash in my brew pot, use direct heat for the steps, and then pour everything in my cooler mash tun to lauter.

Do I have to worry about hot side aeration when transferring my mash into the cooler for lautering? Is there a best way to do this, should I just scoop out the grain and gently pour the liquid into the mash tun.

Also does anyone have tips for insulating a brew pot for when I mash/

I've done something similar. Did a 2 step mash on stove top in boil kettle. It held temp well for 30mins before I slowly raised temp to my sach rest temp where I dumped the whole lot into my mash tun for a hour

I have dumped the entire mash into my lauter tun with no ill effects. I've also heard Dr. Bamforth say that HSA is largely a myth, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

+1 to decoction. Pull about 1/3 to 40% of the liquid after dough in and run through a step decoction schedule. 145 is very low though, I would recommend at least a 127, 150 or a 137, 160 schedule.

Back