best way to remove bottle labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fill a tub with hot water and a scoop of oxyclean. Most of the labels will slide right off. Then a light scrub with a brush to clean all the glue off the bottles, rinse and done.*

*does not apply to sticker type labels

+1 on oxyclean. I use it to clean the majority of my brew equipment...bottles, tubing, brew kettles, etc. It works just as well as PBW and is much cheaper. Of course, just be sure to rinse well with hot water.

ksut1547 said:
I fill a tub with hot water and a scoop of oxyclean. Most of the labels will slide right off. Then a light scrub with a brush to clean all the glue off the bottles, rinse and done.*

+1

I use a straight razor to remove the gummy stuff.

ksut1547 said:

I don't even use hot water in the soak bucket. Make sure they sink in the bucket of water and oxi and brush off under water with a wire brush. 1 oz oxi in 3 gal pale lasts me a week before I need to dump.

I just did 100 bottles. The best way I've found is soak as many bottles as your container can handle, I use laundry sink, in oxy clean. Let them sit about 10 minutes, peel the labels, don't worry about getting all The residual stuff. Let set another hour or longer if you can and then I just use my hand to rub off glue. A small brush works great too. Easy peazy.

Easiest ways for me was ammonia. It's cheap smells like crap but when soaked for 24 plus hours labels just fall off. The glue you can just wipe off with your hand. Best part ammonia is dirty cheap. Biggest problem is that it smells horrible, so do it outside.

Second way is to soak it in PBW. Soak a bit longerfor the same effect. Only negative PBW cost allot more than ammonia.

Time to get a jug of oxyclean.. After another week the Wheat beer is going in bottles.. Which I'll have to scrub the labels off :) its nice once you start getting a backlog of beer to drink.. problem is i just keep on brewing!

Make sure you get the oxyclean free. I use it as well. I usually use spring water in my brew. The ones I get come in 2.5 gallon jugs what are rectangular. I cut the end off and fill with warm water / oxyclean. These are nice because they fit a 6 pack perfectly. The water level is high enough to fill the bottles as well which cleans the inside as well. I let them sit for a few hours and most of the time the labels have fallen off. There have been a few brands that used cement instead of glue for their labels. I had to use lighter fluid to get the last gunk off.

ONce you get all your bottles de-labled try this.
1-keep a 5 gallon bucket w/about 4 gallons of OxyClean at all times.
2-rince out as you drink and dry. Then collect until you have 12.
3-put the 12 bottles in the bucket w/the OxyC
4-leave them there till you have another 12 emptys.
5-swap them and you'll find the labels are off and the bottles ready to rinse and store.

some bottles are better than others. I am a huge fan of sierra nevada bottles because they clean up so SOOO easy. And its no punishment to have to turn a case of full bottles into empty bottles so I can brew..hahha

A bathtub full of warm water and baking soda. The labels and the glue just wipe off in your hand. No harsh chemicals involved.

some bottles are better than others. I am a huge fan of sierra nevada bottles because they clean up so SOOO easy. And its no punishment to have to turn a case of full bottles into empty bottles so I can brew..hahha

95% of my bottles are from Sierra Nevada. It's so uniform then w/all the bottles the same size. Long necks come in many different lengths. LOL

Find a place for a trashcan. Fill trash can with chemical stew of your choice. Oxyclean, ammonia, bleach, pool shock, PBW. Fill bottles with solution and let them sink. Put the lid on and forget about them. I actually had two corona bottles lose their labels with this neglect in a bleach bath.

Corona bottles -- mason jar of pool acid. Suit up in protective gear. Soak for a minute. Hit with a scrub pad, repeat. I would never recommend or condone this as pool acid is dangerous, m'kay.

BTW, some people have reported a white residue from oxyclean. Others say it is because it wasn't oxyclean free. Whatever the cause, you really have to rinse the bottles to get all the oxyclean out of them. Vinegar in the rinse water seems to help.

P1020694.jpg

I wait until I have a 100 or so saved up. Then I soak them in the baby pool for 8 or 10 hours on a hot summer day. The labels come right off with a light scrubbing with a scotchbright pad.

Easiest ways for me was ammonia. It's cheap smells like crap but when soaked for 24 plus hours labels just fall off. The glue you can just wipe off with your hand. Best part ammonia is dirty cheap. Biggest problem is that it smells horrible, so do it outside.

Second way is to soak it in PBW. Soak a bit longerfor the same effect. Only negative PBW cost allot more than ammonia.

Second on ammonia, although it takes me 20 minutes for it to slide off. So much so I have to fish labels out of the bucket.

bathtub+oxiclean free+hot water+24 hours

The lables that don't fall off will easily scour away with a scotch brite pad.

Just did my first batch of bottles with oxyclean last night and used them to bottle today! It was so easy!

Back