Best way to keep hops out of the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30Bones

Reaction score
I use pellet hops in my keggle with a side outlet. My immersion chiller has a whirlpool arm on it as well. I have tried letting it whirlpool for 15-20 after cooled, even let it sit another 15-20 before transferring to my fermenter and still pick up a ton of hops. FWIW the whirlpool does not appear to be whirlpooling a whole lot either. Granted we are talking 6-11 gallons of fluid to pump around. I run it as my whirlpool arm as the in and the lower pickup as my out if that makes sense.

I tried a DIY hop spyder but didn't like it because I have to remove it to insert the immersion chiller and it gets in the way of the whirlpooling. Otherwise I would get a stainless hop spider and call it good.

I have not heard great things about hop stoppers, so I am not really in the market to try one.

I tried zip tying a 1 gallon paint strainer bag to the outlet hose and even that was a mess and super slow process even with the pump valve throttled way back. That was a 10 gallon batch with only 3.5 oz of hops!

Pics of my keggle, I have never used the top fitting since my chiller has a whirlpool that sits into the wort better.
smugshot_9143588-XL.jpg

Try pumping through a conical shaped mesh bag. Rig a stand to hold the bag over your fermenting bucket or over a strainer into a carboy. As the hop debris clogs the bottom of the bag your wort will flow out the sides of the bag. The wort should flow down the outside of the bag to keep it from being messy.
I use this method to pour from the kettle into a carboy. I have a second set of hands to hold the bag so for me the stand is not needed.
Might need a longer hose to avoid trying to get the kettle up high.

I had the same problem, and it was stopping up my chiller. A whirlpool moves everything to the middle, but can leave some around the edges if your pot is small. In addition, if you continue to pull wort out (from the edge) while the wort gets to the end (bottom), it tends to pull trub and hops from the middle to the outside. Be sure to leave some wort behind to avoid this problem.

I cured the problem by first whirlpooling in the boiler using my pump, then whirlpooled into my liquor tank leaving some wort behind in the boiler so that when the wort moves down to the bottom, it doesn't drag junk from the middle to the outside (where I am pulling out the wort). Let it settle, and move the wort from the liquor tank to the fermenter. My wort is typically crystal clear when it hits the fermenter.

Hope that helps,

My HLT pulls from the center right at the bottom. I have thought about running everything to my MT and through the false bottom with an extra filter screen in the bottom to catch "most" everything.

smugshot_1760325-XL.jpg

I think I will eventually get a hop spider from Stainless Brewing Filters. Both are 6"x14" and 300 micron. Seems like the best solution to the problem.

kegglefilter6x14outsidehook300micron.jpg

beerbrewingstainlesshopspidercenterhanging6x14-300micron.jpg

How's the hop utilization effected by those stainless hop spiders? I just bought a plate chiller and will try simply whirl pooling first - I can get quite a bit of motion in my BK. If that doesnt work in keeping the hops out, I might try one of these stainless units too - if they don't mess with utilization.

I have a keggle similar to yours. When I use pellets, I generally bag them in muslin and hang them with a piece of butchers twine so it hangs about halfway into the wort (if youre concerned about losing extraction efficiency, just add about 10% more hops). I use a plate chiller and have never had a clog going this way.

The way your dip tube is set up, you'll need something to separate if you're using any kind of loose hops in the boil; whirlpooling works, but only to a certain extent and with a small amount of hops. While I was working on modifying my false bottom, I actually started using a SS lint screen made for the outlet on a washing machine, secured with a SS hose clamp. Just made 10 gallons of a hop-bursted IPA (13 oz whole hops), and had no problems with this method. Just a thought.

What about letting stuff settle for 20-30 minutes before transferring to fermenter? You could raise the discharge hose off from the bottom and inch or two.

What about letting stuff settle for 20-30 minutes before transferring to fermenter? You could raise the discharge hose off from the bottom and inch or two.
I could, but I doubt that would solve the problem, just leave more wort behind. I honestly think a spider is the best option, but I may try a hop bag the next few brew since it's a much cheaper way to get to the same end result.

I do it in a keggle, works every time. What is the value of the wort left behind? I tip the keggle and the whirflock-induced cold break and hop bits all stay behind. I make my batches 0.5-1 gallon bigger (depending on hop qty) to account for loss to reach my ideal fermenter level.

Sounds like your also trying to avoid wort loss. I can assure you there will always be some losses in line, chillers and some in the boiler. Like some others mentioned, make your recipe about a gallon more to account for wort loss. That way you don't feel as though you've done something wrong by leaving some behind.

There were a couple other good suggestions with a bag, although with wort pellets; some will seep through the bag, and it doesn't account for trubb. Using a washing machine line is good too. You have to cut off the rubber off outside of the tub, but it works good. The only problem is it easily crushes, especially if you shove your paddle down to the bottom. If you're careful it's a great way to filter out some of the trub and hops.

I still think you should redo your wort pick up line and move it to the side so you can whirlpool. I've tried a lot of things and am convinced of the whirlpool method. I'm not sure about a hop spider, keep in mind that there's a lot of trub in there too. Will the spider keep those out as well? It doesn't hurt to try it. Heck, it might be the way to go with your setup.

Cheers,

Not worried about the loss really. I could shorten the pick up some and that would help with whirlpooling. I agree with you there.

Already ordered a hop spider and still plan to let it let it settle for 20-30 minutes after it's cooled before I transfer it to the carboy.

A baffle in front of your inlet will help (this is how pro systems are setup). Also a larger dip tube will help. I suspect part of your problem is the small dip tube is leading to high velocities at the inlet. Velocity = flow/area
Dip tubes tend to work against clear wort.

Both pieces are 1/2" copper. A baffle would be slick and I'm trying to DIY something in that arena. I have some ideas, but won't be putting them to the test for a little bit. Who knows this hop spider may solve 99 of my problems so to speak :)

How's the hop utilization effected by those stainless hop spiders? I just bought a plate chiller and will try simply whirl pooling first - I can get quite a bit of motion in my BK. If that doesnt work in keeping the hops out, I might try one of these stainless units too - if they don't mess with utilization.

Works just fine Russ. You tasted some of my beers And that's all I use weather I use 1oz or 12 oz of hops.

30Bones, what about turning your copper pickup tube so the inlet is more against the side of the kettle? I have a more beer system and that is the way its setup (called a kettle diverter?). FWIW. No hop spider, I just whirlpool vigorously and make sure my pickup is very close to the top of my kettle false bottom. How those pumps working out?

30Bones, what about turning your copper pickup tube so the inlet is more against the side of the kettle? I have a more beer system and that is the way its setup (called a kettle diverter?). FWIW. No hop spider, I just whirlpool vigorously and make sure my pickup is very close to the top of my kettle false bottom. How those pumps working out?
Pumps work great thanks!

I plan to orient the pickup close to the side of the keggle for this next batch.

Pumps work great thanks!

I plan to orient the pickup close to the side of the keggle for this next batch.

I don't whirlpool, as I have an electric element in mine and it just doesn't seem to swirl very well. However, during chilling, much of the debris settles. When I use a ton of leaf hops, I use a bazooka tube, as leaf hops clog my pump. Otherwise, I use a hops spider for leaf hops but pellets go right in the boil.

My dip tube is set closer to the edge than the middle, and with letting the wort sit about 15 minutes, much of the hot break and pellet debris settles in the very bottom, in that "dip" at the bottom of the keg. My diptube pulls out almost all clear wort, but some debris. I don't sweat that, and stop at that point. There is generally less than a quart in the bottom.

Changed the set up a bit. Removed the J arm from my wort chiller and moved my top fitting to a previously closed off hole about midway down. I also bent the copper outlet to fit against the keggle wall ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397607609.930275.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397607659.756955.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a homemade hop spider for mine. Cost me about $10. When I am chilling I run through the pump and plate chiller and right back into the hop spider to catch any other leftovers. It works great for me.

This mornings thoughts. With that whirlpool fitting midway on the keggle, will wort want to seep out of that area? Should I hook a hose from that fitting and just drape it over the top just in case?

You could put a ball valve on it. My whirlpool port is below wort level and uses a ball valve.

That's if I'm reading that question right.

You could put a ball valve on it. My whirlpool port is below wort level and uses a ball valve.

That's if I'm reading that question right.
You read it correctly. I don't have a spare ball valve, but I do have several hoses/camlocks to test this change out.

You certainly are correct, you don't want the wort seeping out. I use a ball valve, but it is above the wort, not below. A ball valve would be fine if you're making smaller batches. However, wouldn't work if you fill it up. Maybe that could work for small batches, but on large batches, cover that spout and use a higher point for the ball valve.

By the way, using a ball valve as an inlet for the liquor tank is a great help. I don't have to babysit the process.

Good luck,

I may move it back to where it was for a 10 gallon batch Friday, in my head it's just a problem without a solution since I don't have a spare ball valve and don't care to go get one right now.

Worked great!!! Couldn't be happier. Brewed a 10 gallon wheat. Only an ounce of hops but I split it in two at the end to boils some lemon zest in one and tangerine in another. Lemon wort was much more clear than the tangerine that did not have the filter in place.

Worked great!!! Couldn't be happier. Brewed a 10 gallon wheat. Only an ounce of hops but I split it in two at the end to boils some lemon zest in one and tangerine in another. Lemon wort was much more clear than the tangerine that did not have the filter in place.

I took a picture of the inside of my BK - and didnt remember why until now... Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture.

I too successfully whirl pooled for the first time in this configuration. 12 gallons with 5 oz of hops in the BK. I did get some trub in the fermentor but my chiller was clean.

IMAG0157.jpg

Good to hear the whirlpool worked out. It works great for me. Looks like you gotta winner. If you whirlpool in a narrow container, you'll get some trub. That's why I whirlpool in the BK, then a 2nd time into my liquor tank, let it settle and draw off the clear wort.

Cheers,

I have not heard great things about hop stoppers, so I am not really in the market to try one.
I think (unfortunately) that most negative comments come from those who are using it incorrectly / don't realize they're using it incorrectly. Biggest issue is when using a pump, you need to slow the flow to a trickle otherwise you'll empty it faster than it can fill.

I've been using mine since 2009 and have zero issues. If something better existed for my setup, I'd be using it.

Works great even with 23 oz of hops in an IIPA:

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

YMMV!

Kal

I think (unfortunately) that most negative comments come from those who are using it incorrectly / don't realize they're using it incorrectly. Biggest issue is when using a pump, you need to slow the flow to a trickle otherwise you'll empty it faster than it can fill.

I've been using mine since 2009 and have zero issues. If something better existed for my setup, I'd be using it.

Works great even with 23 oz of hops in an IIPA:

IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

YMMV!

Kal

Actually, you're system of kettle hop control would be my next attempt if whirlpooling alone doesnt work - but so far so good!

Back