Best way to get rid of the yeast in finished beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSkril

Reaction score
Hi all!

My belly is some kind of sensible to yeast (seems to be not all strains). I’m sure that yeast is the cause. I just need to drink the first pint of a new keg or take a shot of a starter and I’ll have it confirmed a few hours later (I don’t do these things normally!). :) 
The suspended yeast left in the keg is not that bad but my belly still reacts.
I’m looking for the best solution to get rid of the yeast once it’s no longer needed.

I’m considering this filter process:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=261897

Would gelatine make the yeast drop out too? It would be less complicated / expensive to use gelatine instead of filtering.

Any input would be appreciated!

Most yeast will flocculate out on its own given time. Gelatin will help. Filtering will definitely do the trick. Either plate or cartridge. Check the filter size against size of the average yeast cell.

If its not all strain then stick with those that you don't react to. The above advice is sound, someone else will have to chime in if pasteurization is possible? There are a few commercial craft beers that I have found that make me a bit gassy, oh for the sounds of nature.
You may just have to de-sensitize yourself to one or two strains and just use them. Recycling yeast is a great way to save a few bucks on the brewing too.

Hi all!

My belly is some kind of sensible to yeast (seems to be not all strains). I’m sure that yeast is the cause. I just need to drink the first pint of a new keg or take a shot of a starter and I’ll have it confirmed a few hours later (I don’t do these things normally!). :) 
The suspended yeast left in the keg is not that bad but my belly still reacts.
I’m looking for the best solution to get rid of the yeast once it’s no longer needed.

I’m considering this filter process:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=261897

Would gelatine make the yeast drop out too? It would be less complicated / expensive to use gelatine instead of filtering.

Any input would be appreciated!

Cold conditioning and gelatin fining will drop much of the yeast but there is still going to be some in suspension. The only was to get rid of all of the yeast (well just about all) is to push the beer through a 1 micron filter.

If its not all strain then stick with those that you don't react to. The above advice is sound, someone else will have to chime in if pasteurization is possible? There are a few commercial craft beers that I have found that make me a bit gassy, oh for the sounds of nature.
You may just have to de-sensitize yourself to one or two strains and just use them. Recycling yeast is a great way to save a few bucks on the brewing too.

I react to all, its just a question of more or less.

I start filtering on the next batches and see how that helps.

If your sensitive to yeast then filtering is the only option. You will need a filter that is sufficiently small pore size/nominal filter size and rated sufficiently in terms of retention.

Lucky for you yeast a pretty big cells, so even a 2 micron might do the job.

Back