Best Way to Get Bulk Grain in central IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izatt82

Reaction score
anybody else in central IL how do you guys get your grain? where from? and prices? I am in Springfield if that helps we have a friar tucks and thats it didn't know if there was something else not real far away.

I would like to find something local thats decent price, but wouldn't mind going online I do for most of my stuff anyway.

The best way is to find some brewing friends and someone who has previously, a home brew club or a local brewery purchased from Mid Country Malt outside of Chicago and buy a pallet. This should bring your cost of domestic grain down to about $35 a sack and imported around $40 a sack. Alternatively if you can only find someone who has purchased from Mid Country before you can always organize a group purchase here in HBT. It has been done several times before

See if you can piggy-back on a LHBS or local brewery order. Especially if you are a frequent customer, they may be willing to cut you a good deal.

The best way is to find some brewing friends and someone who has previously, a home brew club or a local brewery purchased from Mid Country Malt outside of Chicago and buy a pallet. This should bring your cost of domestic grain down to about $35 a sack and imported around $40 a sack. Alternatively if you can only find someone who has purchased from Mid Country before you can always organize a group purchase here in HBT. It has been done several times before

Thats who we buy from is Mid Country Malt and be usually get somewhere around 10 to 20 sacks at a time. Friar tucks will order you sacks of grain at what ever they are charging per pound so I have never bought any sacks from them only a pound here and there and it was from the Bloomington store.

Local brewery is out, none around here. I will see if some of the guys around here are willing to do a bulk buy. online prices seem a bit high compared to what I see on here from good local shops.

thanks for the input guys

Latest posts

Back