best way to filter hops in boil kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emc

Reaction score
I currently use an immersion chiller so hop filtering hasn't been a super big deal to me. I am going to switch to a cfc and from all i have read about hops getting stuck, I am curious what everyone else has found to work best? I currently use the old false bottom from my 5 gallon cooler mash tun, so it doesn't cover the entire bottom of my kettle. Some hop material, I use mostly pellets, makes it through. With multiple hop additions I am concerned that hop sacks will become costly and wasteful over time. I was thinking about making one of the filters I see, with the nylon strainer bag hanging in the middle of the pot, but i have read in some of the threads that you loose hop utilization, another reason I am second guess hop bags, and it hinders some dms boil off. Would love to hear what others are using and are happiest with.

5 Gallon paint strainer bags from Lowes/HD. A street union and some allthread.

Coined many a name, Hop Spider, Hop Ghost, Hop Bag, Strainer, etc....

Have you noticed any loss of hop utilization? I was al ready to build one then I read in two different threads guy being concerned that it would hinder the boil off of dms, and the loss of some hop oils. Which really didn't seem like it would be a problem, with how many people use hop sacks....

Back