best way to divide wort after mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
Ok... I'm stingy or frugal. I want to work with what I have now...
I have 3 gallons and 4 gallons pots and I would like to do a full boil and divide the wort between 2 pots. What's the best way to have consistent SG between the 2 pots?

drain 1/2 first runnings in the first, then 1/2 in the second and repeat with second runnings etc or keep switching back and forth every 30 seconds as you drain.......your probably gonna have to eyeball it. If the gravities are different it will throw your hop utilization off....good luck

scinerd3000's probably got the best idea. You'll have to eyeball it between the two pots switching between them. Or sparge into a measured container like a gallon jug and alternate pouring into each pot.

When I split my boil that's what I did. I eyeballed it, and drained 1/2 the first runnings into each pot. Then, drained 1/2 the second runnings into each pot. I divided the hops as equally as I could by eyeballing it, too. It worked great.

I drain all my runnings into a ice chest to keep it warm (and to keep bugs and dogs out while I sparge). I have a pot big enough to do 8.5 gallon boils but if I didn't, it would be easy to just split it after that since all the runnings were combined already.

I think I'm more worried about the size pots you have. What is your final volume? I don't think you'll be able to do a full boil unless you're doing a 4 gallon or less batch. I wouldn't go above 2 gallons on the 3 gallon pot and 3 gallons on the 4 gallon and that's still pushing it.

I'm guessing full boil will be around 6.5-7 gallons. Current setting seems to small. It looks like I will need a bigger pots no matter what if I plan to brew 5.5 gallons. Otherwise, I guess I have to do partial mash in 4 gallons without taking a big hit to mash efficiency.

You'll be fine eyeballing it UNLESS you aren't putting them back together after the boil. If you're fermenting and bottling separately, you'll probably want more precision in equaling them out.

Back