best way to clean crud out of 6.5 gal glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
hey i just moved my brew from my 6.5gal glass carboy to my 5gall so i can add fruit and then i was trying to clean it but it seems liek now matter what i do i cant get all the crud off the sides of the carboy what woudl be the best way to get it clean so i can start my next brew and put it in my 6.5gal carboy

PBW and warm water. Let it sit overnight. Rinse and shake. This stuff is great. No scrubbing and no fuss.

cool thanks.. looks liek i got to order some.. now if the carboy sits with some stuff in it and drys for a week or so will that cleaner still get it all out? cause the carboy been empty sense 7/4

oh and how many cleanings woudl i get from 1 pound worth of that cleaner? cause im looking at the prices now

Yes, it will take off all the dried crud with no problem. I use less than their recommended usage rate as I think I experimented with something like 2 tbs/6 gal carboy and it works great. I'd probably use hot, but not scalding water. Buy in bulk to save $$... I use this stuff for my beer lines, kegs, you name it!

Dollar general has a store brand of Oxyclean that's really cheap .. I usually buy a big tub at walmart for around $8

Oxyclean or PBW work great. Just buy the unscented Oxyclean Free or Oxyclean for babies (forget what that type was called).

why would hot water cause glass shards? with what cleaning agent?

Boiling, or nearly boiling would cause it to break, not hot water..

hey i just moved my brew from my 6.5gal glass carboy to my 5gall so i can add fruit and then i was trying to clean it but it seems liek now matter what i do i cant get all the crud off the sides of the carboy what woudl be the best way to get it clean so i can start my next brew and put it in my 6.5gal carboy

A nice long HOT soak in either oxyclean, pbw, or star san solution works wonders for me. When i say hot, i mean water that is around 170-190, I set the glass in a sink of hot tap water about 125 degrees to warm the glass up to prevent breaking, put the cleaner in then dump in the very hot water and let it soak at least over night, i have never had a problem with anything coming out and i dont even have a carboy brush!

And NO HOT WATER in your carboy!!! Unless you like cleaning up glass shards.

This is not true, if you sit the carboy in a sink full of all hot tap water and let the glass come up to the temp of the water(usually 120-130 degrees), you can dump near boiling water in without breakage, i have done it more than once. You only get breakage if you dump VERY HOT water into a room temp or cooler glass carboy.

I just fill mine up with the hottest water that will come out of the shower (I think 120 or so) and 2 tablespoons or so of Oxiclean.
Let it sit over night, rinse a few times, and it's like new.

I was at my local walmart and picked up pbw.... Didn't realize they carried it. I normally just use oxyclean free though.

Oxyclean here, but to save my back I don't fill the carboy. It only takes a gallon or two to cover that stubborn krausen ring if you flip the carboy over and put it in a bucket. A couple of layers of aluminum foil and a heavy-duty rubber band before flipping over will seal it for the overnight soak.

I use oxyclean first and soak it in warm water. If the oxyclean doesn't work I will use PBW.

Oxyclean is cheaper.

After rinsing out the chunks, I toss in one scoop of Oxyclean and fill up the carboy from my hose outside and let it sit overnight (or all week, whatever). That's usually all it takes. Occasionally, I've had to break out the brush for really stubborn rings.

To avoid moving around a heavy carboy, I use my siphon to empty the cleaning solution onto my driveway.

I use a magnetic carboy sponge I'm pretty sure they're new. They are the easiest way I've ever found and small I would never use anything else again. They have a felt side for better bottles and a scrubber side for glass. You flip the outer super powerful magnet on the outside to switch sponge sides. They are really easy and actually fun too! There's a video on their website. I think you get like two sponges and a small one too for like 10$ but there is no shipping which is nice.
It's babylon bewear clothing company. www.babylonbewear.com

I think this is the link to the sponges
http://www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

Is your sponge really so awesome that you had to post the EXACT same post 14 times?

Or do you by chance wish to sell this community something?

T

The link is blocked here at work ( on 24 hour duty tonight) so I can check it out....bummer it seems like there is a lot of hype all of a sudden, I really want one now!

Tim

Is your sponge really so awesome that you had to post the EXACT same post 14 times?

Or do you by chance wish to sell this community something?

T

I asked this in one of the other threads. At first I thought the forum had gotten completely stupid because of the 7 threads in a row about how to clean a carboy. Then I realized they are all old.

Guess I'm the stupid one!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

must be serial spammer....joined at 215 this morning, then posted the crap out of that...... yeesh. Sounds like the old "you can make a billion dollars, just by cruising the internet" game. :off:

but, yes to agree with the others.... I have used both PBW (soaking for a couple days starting with warm water)and Oxy (soaking for a couple days starting with as hot a water as will come out of the tap) on a glass carboy, until it exploded on the basement floor after a "drop" of about a half inch at most. Now I use Better Bottles, and the same method, and sometimes a bit of a small rag stuffed down in with a bit of the water left in, swirled the rag around (SO much easier with Better Bottles..lol)..... haven't seen any crud hanging out with this method.

Here's a recent thread on homemade PBW.

I use a carboy brush to clean glass carboys, particularly the krausen ring. And (homemade) PBW of course. There's no other cleaner that works better on dried on krausen goop.

I just use the hottest water that comes out of the tap, plus 1/2 a scoop of Oxyclean and let it sit over night.

Never had anything left in the carboy after doing that; actually got rid of my un-used carboy brush a while ago.

Back