best value orange blossom honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to make my first mead, and am thinking of a orange blossom mead. Does anyone have recommendations on the best value (highest quality relative to reasonable price) source for 5lb or so of it?

I have looked around on the web, and Dutch gold seems to fit the bill. However, I've read that they filter their honey at 160 F which gives me some concern of loss of some of the aromatics.

The best deal I ever got on honey was from a local source. Their honey was raw and only lightly filtered. It usually sold for $8 or $9/lb. but since I was buying in bulk (12 lb.) he sold it to me for $5/lb.! That was a regular clover/wildflower honey, though. I'm not well versed on orange blossom.

Shipping honey is expensive and we don't have any orange groves here in Northeast MS. So, I've never used OB honey. Like you, I"d like to try it sometime. Have heard that Florida and California OB honeys are two different animals. So take note of which one you finally decide to buy.

The best deal I ever got on honey was from a local source. Their honey was raw and only lightly filtered. It usually sold for $8 or $9/lb. but since I was buying in bulk (12 lb.) he sold it to me for $5/lb.! That was a regular clover/wildflower honey, though. I'm not well versed on orange blossom.

Clover honey is $15 for 5 pounds at Costco. I've had great results with it.

:mug:

Shipping honey is expensive and we don't have any orange groves here in Northeast MS. So, I've never used OB honey. Like you, I"d like to try it sometime. Have heard that Florida and California OB honeys are two different animals. So take note of which one you finally decide to buy.

How are they different?

I'm mostly just searching amazon and google, trying to find the lowest prices. Some places have free shipping; for those that don't, the shipping adds substantially to the cost.

I'm drinking OB mead made from Dutch Gold. It's good. No worries about the quality.

I was definitely thinking to go with Dutch Gold, but their shipping price nearly doubles the overall price!

Companies are always trying to fool people by hiding their price in the shipping price.

Dutch Gold is local to me, so no shipping to worry about.

I did just take a look at shipping some of their stuff, and quite honestly, the prices are comparable to what it actually costs to ship things of those sizes and weights. We are all spoiled by flat rate and free shipping. It's actually quite expensive nowadays.

How are they different?

I'm mostly just searching amazon and google, trying to find the lowest prices. Some places have free shipping; for those that don't, the shipping adds substantially to the cost.

California honey tends to be lower moisture content and therefore a more intense flavor is what I've heard guys on TheMeadHouse.com podcast say. It is way more humid here in the South, so the bees have to work harder to get the moisture content down.

Indeed, California honey is often a low moisture content. But once they hit the commercial bottlers, moisture is added to make a consistent product and enable it to go through the filters to remove tiny particles like pollen. (Not necessarily a bad thing, since sugar crystals want to start forming on them) Another thing to consider is that commercial orange blossom honey only has to have a somewhat lowish percentage of actual orqnge blossom honey in it, it can be cut with more plentiful clover, etc.
There used to be a board that was very proactive in shutting down adulterated honey products, but I don't think it is active any more. Trust your sources. I wouldn't automatically trust even commercial products not to have added corn syrup. Personally, I would only buy honey that comes from the US or Canada. Never China.
(Former California beekeeper)

Indeed, a good way to buy local honey.
I didn't mean to imply that a lesser percentage of orange honey in a labeled orange honey bottle is adulterated; that remark was for a corn syrup, etc spiked product.

For the cost vs quality question you ask, I've decided myself on the OB honey morebeer.com sells. I've tasted more robust and flavorful OB honey but theirs does still have a very nice, clearly noticeable OB flavor in the finished product. I've done both meads and braggots with it. Drinking an Orange Blossom Saison right now actually.

It's been consistent over the many years I've used it. They say it's from a small, California apiary. And qualifies for their free shipping program.

I recently bought 2 gallons of Snowberry honey (From East Washington state) from a vendor on e bay. No shipping and it arrived within a few days after ordering. It is a lighter honey but I think it will make a nice mead. Hope this helps. Army Mike

Latest posts

Back