Best two combos with these hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argie86

Reaction score
I want to brew two different IPAs and I have the following hops:

Chinook
Mosaic
Citra
Centennial
Columbus
Cascade (argentinian)

I've never use Citra, Centennial or Columbus. So...
Which would be the best two combos with those hops?
I was thinking:
Combo 1: Chinook/Mosaic/Cascade
Combo 2: Columbus/Citra/Centennial

Thanks in advance!

Whichever ones smell the best...

I would combine the traditional ones for a more traditional beer and the modern ones for a modern beer.

Or use the traditional ones hotside and dry hop one beer with Mosaic and the other with Citra.

Citra and Mosaic will get you lots of fruity flavours.

Chinook is piney, resiny, grapefruit juice and rind.

Columbus is dank, earthy, peppery.

Centennial is somewhat citrussy and floral.

I would go Citra, Mosaic and Chinook.

I would go Citra, Mosaic and Chinook.

I second this, but also add that Centennial might be the better dry-hopping option.

Citra + Mosaic is a little played out, IMO. If you've ever had Fresh Squeezed IPA then you've had this combo. Along with a thousand other breweries using this hop combo.

I like Chinook for bittering and late boil, and Centennial for flavor after boil. I'd say also Cascade (my favorite), but I don't know how the Argentinian variety tastes.

I second this, but also add that Centennial might be the better dry-hopping option.

Citra + Mosaic is a little played out, IMO. If you've ever had Fresh Squeezed IPA then you've had this combo. Along with a thousand other breweries using this hop combo.
Don't agree it's "played out"

1000 other breweries use the combo because it's tasty and yummy and good

Comes down to a choice between brewing something everyone brews, but you know will be good or brew a unique unknown

I like Centennial and Chinook.

Actually -bitter with the Centennial and use throughout. Use the Chinook a little at 20 and then F/O and after. Dry hop with both

put all the C hops into one beer (except the citra) and that's your American West Coast IPA.

put the citra and the mosaic into another beer for a modern tropical/fruity IPA. maybe even a NEIPA if you have enough hops. if you have alot, maybe add a little bit of cascade to this beer to help add a little bit of bite.

whatever you do- try to limit exposure to air /oxygen as much as possible after you dry hop. it will kill the flavors real fast.

Back