best thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
We broke our floating thermometer during our last brew. Any suggestions on a better one? Would it be better to go with a digital thermometer?

+1 to the Thermapen. I like the instant read ability, as I like to take multiple readings in the mash as I am doughing in. Floating thermometers don't really work for me in the mash.

Thermapen is the best. Mine has found it's way into just about every cooking related activity I do.

I got mine from an "open box" sale, which shaves about $30 off the price. Usually some post something here when there's one going on.

Not sure if I wanta spend that much quite yet on a thermometer, still relatively new to this. Can anyone recommend a good less expensive second option?

Does anyone have the Thermoworks RT600B? Made by the same company as the Thermapen and $80.00 cheaper. If it's a good thermometer it should work pretty well for the Brewer on a Budget, right?

That's the exact one I use, it's quick and accurate, the one caveat, it does not have an auto off function, so make sure you turn it off and keep a spare battery around. It sux to start up the HLT on a brew day and find out the thermometers dead :(

That's the exact one I use, it's quick and accurate, the one caveat, it does not have an auto off function, so make sure you turn it off and keep a spare battery around. It sux to start up the HLT on a brew day and find out the thermometers dead :(

Thanks, I figured this would be a good one and a bit more affordable to start. I just ordered one.

Back