Best sugar type for priming a Dortmunder export lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stem42

Reaction score
Hi,

I just finished my first ever all grain brew, it was fun!!!

In 3 weeks I have to add the priming sugar but in the recipe it is only specified the amount that I have to use but NOT the type of sugar.

I have seen that for lager it is generally accepted to use white table sugar as a primer. Since I just spent 5 hours brewing this batch, I was wandering if there is a "better" solution.... Maybe it's just me having preconceptions but I consider the typical refined white sugar as a poor quality product.

If you have any info, even links to articles that elaborate on that topic I would be grateful!

Thanks!
Stef.

congrats. There is no "best" priming sugar for any particular style. The best priming sugar is supposed to be dextrose (corn sugar) since it is the easiest (fastest) for the yeast to ferment. Cane sugar (regular white table sugar) comes at a close second. Its a long widely ddisproved myth that white sugar will impart off flavors in beer

I've used dextrose ( corn sugar), sucrose ( table sugar) & demerara (raw cane sugar) & they all work. But I prefer dextrose, as it's supposedly the easiest type metabolized by the yeast.

There is nothing "poor quality" about refined white sugar. In the context of bottle conditioning, the more refined the better. I use it quite frequently.

That said, use whatever makes you feel good about your product. I commonly use DME to bottle-prime my English styles - not because I can really tell a difference, but because it somehow feels more "fitting and proper."

Anyway, if you don't want to use table sugar, use dextrose. Many free online calculators will help you determine the amount.

Cheers!

Thanks everyone!

In the end I bought dextrose, it makes me feel better about myself I guess :)

Cheers!
Stef.

Latest posts

Back