Best Stand Up Comedian?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pryor. Oh, dear God, Pryor. And I used to love Eddie Murphy back in his Delirious/Raw days, and Dennis Leary before he started hocking Fords. These days I like Louis CK, Jim Jeffries, Lewis Black (got tickets for his In God we Rust show next month!), Dave Chapelle, and Whitney Cummings. From across the pond, Billy Connolly is fantastic, Eddie Izzard, and Tommy Tiernan are outstanding as well.

I'd pay cash money to hold Dane Cook's head under the water until the bubbles stop. I've NEVER seen such an overrated human being in my life. How anyone even considers him remotely humorous is beyond me, let alone how he's still able to sell out venues...

Also don't get the Jeff Dunham thing.

Right on. Although I did find Dane Cook somewhat funnier on video than just listening to him. Either way I just don't get his appeal.

I like this guy, "you put me in a cage with anything! anything! for a week and I'll F*** it! F*** pandas!"
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eqUtK61SOs]Jim Jefferies On Pandas - YouTube[/ame]

+1 to Carlin, Dangerfield, Cosby, Murphy and Robin Williams. How about Redd Foxx?

And, while he's not one of the biggies, I've always liked The Amazing Jonathan.

If I say "Dane Cook" does that make me the best comedian? :D

But I'd say my top ten are (in no particular order):

1) Demetri Martin
2) Jim Jefferies
3) Mitch Hedberg (RIP my friend)
4) Meagan Mooney
5) Jim Gaffigan
6) Steve Byrne (the dude got started on winning a myspace content. He's hilarious and on netflix)
7) Daniel Tosh
8) Steven Wright
9) Adam Ferrara
10) Steven Lynch

Jim Jefferies on Jesus
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoXxF-1ZMAU]Jim Jefferies - Jesus is a Tiny Arab Jew - YouTube[/ame]

Rodney Dangerfield was a classic. In stand-up and in his movies too ... “Honey, there’s a Messerschmitt in the kitchen, clean it up for me will ya”, killed me.

I’ve got a hilarious special from Bobcat Goldthwait from sometime in the early or mid 90’s on tape. (yeah tape ... and I still percolate my coffee too).

Though it’s not exactly stand-up, the Shmenge Brothers bit was great. Their song “Cabbage Rolls & Coffee” is a classic. RIP Yosh.

John Lovitz was hilarious. Funny without even saying anything.

So many others.

Rodney would tell joke after joke after joke with that pitch-perfect pacing and then when the audience couldn't take any more, he'd point at himself with his thumb and say "I know a lotta f**kin' jokes!"

JonM said:
Rodney would tell joke after joke after joke with that pitch-perfect pacing and then when the audience couldn't take any more, he'd point at himself with his thumb and say "I know a lotta f**kin' jokes!"

Yeah, his timing was impeccable

I myself are partial to the older comedians, like Pryor, Murphy, Rodney. For some of the newer guys, I think Greg Giraldo was one of the funniest...When he would do the comedy central roasts, they were friggin hilarious....

MrNic said:
My favorite is David Cross.

David Cross is the Man! Have you read "I Drink for a Reason"? Hardest I ever laughed at a book was the "Sitting on a Pole Trying to win Some Money" chapter! My Wife thought I was losing it!

In no particular order:

Denis Leary
Ron White
Robin Williams
George Carlin

4 of the funniest people on the planet.
Regards, GF.

Leary and Williams = two of the biggest joke thieves in the game (Behind Mencia of course... :p )

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for failing to name Bill Hicks. With an honorable mention of Gilbert Gottfried.

Yes, you are correct, and I am ashamed of myself.

944play said:
Maria Bamford. Or maybe David Cross. Patton Oswalt is up there too.

Oh crap, forgot about Bamford and Oswalt. Amazing stuff. But which voice is Bamford's real one?

George Carlin.... I saw him on the "Ed Sullivan Show" when I was a kid. He never spoke a word, Just looked at the audience and they cracked up! I later heard he was so stoned he forgot his lines. But hay that was the 60s. Who ended all his shows with God Bless...... he also had a silent character he played.;)

Bill Cosby. He is hilarious without having to drop an F-Bomb every other word. This is the same reason I like the Blue Collar guys, with the exception of Ron White.

I love Carlin, but he got a little too bitter in the end... still a soft place for him though

My fave is Eddie Izzard. He slips seamlessly from the cerebral to the banal and mingles them in just the right proportions. He is thinking man's comedy that you don't have to think about!

No mention of......... Cosby, Rickles, Carlin, Pryor, Rodney, Gleason, and more all took lessons from the great "Red Skellton".:D Cheers:)

My top FAvs are in no order

George carlin
Bob marley (Maine guy)
Joe rogan
Rodney carrington
Tosh

Always cracked me up how certain comedians go on a talk show, do their act, then sit down and continue their act and never get interviewed. Rodney Dangerfield and Don Rickles come to mind.

Seinfeld "The Comedian"

...."You Jerry, are no comedian"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7kKXWuXnfU&feature=player_embedded]Seinfeld- The Comedian - YouTube[/ame]

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrZcztxRquo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mrZcztxRquo?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Jim Gaffigan
Mitch Hedberg
Tosh

BTW anybody else suprised to see so many people answering Mitch Hedberg? He was never really that mainstream when he was alive and even after he died. Not too mention i always imagined the demographic of HBT to be too old to enjoy some Hedberg

Back