Best shop to buy bulk hops in NYC/Brooklyn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shenanigans

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’m from Ireland and am going to NYC in a few months and wanted to check out some American brew shops.
Can you recommend a shop in NYC/Brooklyn where I can get a decent deal on hops?
I’d like to pick up a pound of Centennial but the only shop I found for bulk hops was Bitter and Esters and they cost $32 dollars there which is a bit expensive.
If you could recommend any bars in the Brooklyn area with decent prices and a good selection of craft beers that would also be appreciated.

Thanks!
:mug:

If you need lots of hops, check HopsDirect.com. Their shipping is a bit high, but it evens out quickly at 4 bags or more.

Yakimavalleyhops.com is another "wholesaler" worth checking out.

Pretty much any homebrew store you pay "retail." At one of my local LHBS I was quoted $40 for a pound of Mosaic last year, that was with my club discount. I ended up mail ordering and paid $24.

Don't try to cross borders with leaf hops, that may give you problems at customs, from what I've heard.

Thanks for the quick replies guys :mug:
I thought I was searching wrong but now that its been confirmed that there is no decent priced hops in NYC I might just go the online route.
Those prices are amazing, 10 dollars for a pound of Cascade :eek:
Just have to coordinate it with the Hotel, hopefully whatever I choose will be delivered on time.

Still some months to go so I'll see what's available around mid May.
Maybe some of the NZ hops will be back in stock by then.

Now I just need to whittle down the list of bars I want to visit.
So far Brooklyn Brewery, Six Point, Brooklyn Taphouse, Hops Hill, Barcade .... the list goes on and on.

Any insider tips? I'll be there a full week so I can take advantage of any mid-week deals and happy hours.

I'm not so interested in the Belgian/German themed bars as I get all that over here.

Thanks again :tank:

Back