BEST RECIPE TO KEG and DRINKING IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beershere

Reaction score
What do you think? Looking for a crowd pleaser in the keg in less than 3 weeks. Anyone have a go to?

Thanks!

Belgian Wit. I make one every spring/summer when I need to fill a keg quickly. Grain to glass in 14-17 days... could probably even shorten that timeline. It should be cloudy so no need for any clearing time.

I have made hoppy pales for parties that went grain to glass in 3 weeks. I don't dry hop them but I will usually do a 0 min addition instead of an ounce or so.

Hoppy pale ale (like a Founder's All-day IPA clone). You can even dry hop the thing and be done in less than 3 weeks. Just use a yeast that's quick and clean and start your dry hop right after the bulk of the fermentation is done.

Blonde, Wit, Mild.

I also like the idea of an all-day IPA style beer. Nice and hoppy, but fast to make. Not sure that one would be a crowd pleaser unless the crowd was a bunch of craft beer fans.

I have always had great luck with Biermuncher Centennial Blonde Recipe. Super fast and when I use gelatin it clears super quick, it the one that everyone says, WOW you made this.

That does look good. Do you use the dry nottingham yest? I have never used dry yeast and have't made a batch without a starter. But a quick search in the thread and it looks like that is what everyone is doing.

I have always had great luck with Biermuncher Centennial Blonde Recipe. Super fast and when I use gelatin it clears super quick, it the one that everyone says, WOW you made this.

That does look good. Do you use the dry nottingham yeast? I have never used dry yeast and have't made a batch without a starter. But a quick search in the thread and it looks like that is what everyone is doing.

When our plastic conical was leaving funk in our beer, but my partner couldn't detect it, we made a simple beer just to prove my point by using half in the conical and half in a glass carboy. He drank the carboy beer and then the funkified conical crap. His response? Oh, now I get it. We now have a stainless conical!

Our beer was just American 2-row with 20% 20L caramal/crystal. We used a clean American Ale yeast but I don't remember which one. OG was 1.048.

The carboy beer was very popular.
The conical beer was infused with an Indian Spice Mix extract that I made with vodka. You could no longer smell or taste the funk and it was awesome with Indian food! (India Indian)

We liked it so well it was the first beer in our new stainless conical and ten gallons didn't last long! Great Summer beer.

This recipe is from my buddy in our homebrewers club - he does this recipe, grain to glass, in 9 days. (Sorry about the crappy formatting - it's just the way he sent it to me) This beer always comes out really well:

D'yer Mak'r Cream Ale
Page 1 of 1
D'yer Mak'r Cream Ale
Cream Ale (6 1)
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.72 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
EndofBoll Vol: 5.72 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.00 gal
Fermentation:Ale, Two StageTaste Notesate: 09 Jul2013
Brewer: ----
Asst Brewer: .Equipment: 5 Gal BlAB Full Boil
Efficiency:72.00 %
EstMash Efficiency:72.0%
Taste Rating: 30.0

Ingredientsmt,.,ameTypeillYO/IBU
9 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)Grain190.0%
8.00zCarapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM)Grain25.0%
8.00zCandi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM)Sugar35.0%

0.500zChinook [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 minHop4 18.71BUs
0.50 tspIrish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)Fining

1.0 pkgCaliforniaAle(White Labs #WlPOO1) [35.49 ml]Yeast6
0.50 tspYeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days)
Other7-1.00 tspGelatin (Bottling 5.0 hours)
Fining8-EstOriginal Gravity: 1.049 SGEst Final Gravity: 1.007 SGEstimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.6%Bitterness:18.7 IBUsEst Color: 3.5 SRMGravity, Alcohol Content and ColorMeasured Original Gravity: 1.047 SGMeasured Final Gravity: 1.008 SGActual Alcohol by Vol: 5.1%Calories: 154.0 kcal/tzozMash Name: BlAB, Light BodySparge Water: 0.00 galSparge Temperature: 168.1 FAdjust Temp for Equipment: TRUEMash ProfileTotal Grain Weight: 10 IbsGrain Temperature: 76.0 FTun Temperature:72.0 FMash PH: 5.20Mash StepsName_escriptionTemperature,tepTimeSaccharific ationAdd 29.66 qt of water at 154.9 F147.9 F90 minMash OutHeat to 168.0 F over 7 min168.0 F10 minSparge:

If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wortMash Notes: Brew in a bag method where the full boil volume is mashed within the boil vessel and then the grains arewithdrawn at the end of the mash. No active sparging is required. This is a light body beer profile.Carbonation andtrageCarbonationType: KegPressure/Welght:12.54 PSIKeg/BottlingTemperature: 45.0 FFermentation:Ale, Two StageVolumes ofC02:2.3CarbonationUsed: Keg with 12.54 PSIAge for: 30.00 daysStorage Temperature: 65.0 FCreated with BeerSmithNotes

That does look good. Do you use the dry nottingham yest? I have never used dry yeast and have't made a batch without a starter. But a quick search in the thread and it looks like that is what everyone is doing.

When I made BM's Centennial Blonde and tried to turn it around quickly using Notty I ended up with a major diacetyl issue. Not sure how long of a d-rest I would have needed to clean it up, but I just use either an english pale or clean cali yeast now. I also add 0.5oz of Calypso hops at 5 minutes which give a nice hint of apple/pear which I think compliment this beer really well.

All grain or Extract?

I think my easy blonde (named after my wife) is in my recipes it's designed to go from grain the glass in 14 days

Cheers
Jay

Turbo Beer! Me likes the idea. :rockin:

Are we assuming wort aeration, yeast starter and upper end ferm temps for these production times? If any have not used these steps how much time would this shave off?

My favorite fast recipes are American Wheat or Weizen btw.
Favorite yeasts for this: Wyeast 3638 German Wheat and Wyeast 1010 American Wheat.

Obviously lagers are out and I would say that really big beers and browns, porters and stouts benefit from time but the except for those, I can't think of anything I brew that isn't ready in 3 weeks. Or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I second this. Even without gelatin, three weeks is long enough for this beer to come into its own nicely.

Any ESB would do, Basic Brewing did a podcast on this and I think Chris Colby was the guest. They got from grain to glass in one week.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I agree with the Centennial blonde suggestion. I had that beer grain to glass in 10 days using US-05 yeast.

Centennial blonde man, I've used wyeast 1056, and 1098 I think I likes the British better, and it clears faster and is very drinkable after 10 days

That does look good. Do you use the dry nottingham yeast? I have never used dry yeast and have't made a batch without a starter. But a quick search in the thread and it looks like that is what everyone is doing.

honestly I used dry notty in all my beers like this, because its a dry yeast, as long as its fresh, it has a huge cell count so no need for a started and it gets to work right away, and finishes fast. great when you want to turn one around real quick

Thanks everyone!

I am brewing the Centennial Blonde tonight - I have S-04 or S-05 for yeast options.

Which one would you go with?

The S-04 is a british yeast and probably finish a little faster while leaving a little bit more residual sweetness and a bready character. It will flocculate out quicker than the 05. The 05 will be a cleaner ferment with more hop accentuation.

Was throwing a going away thing for a beer buddy of mine and wanted to fill my fourth tap with something with lower gravity. Ended up brewing a Hefeweizen and had it on tap in 8 days. Everyone swore it was perfect and this is coming from guys who have all spent time in Germany. Used the Mangrove Jacks Hefe yeast and fermented at 65 to bring out more banana and less clove.

A hoppy American wheat is always a crowd pleaser. Something along the lines of gumballhead. Edit...oops I was too late.

i did a scotch ale in 3 weeks to keg a while ago, i had to add a second yeast i started with nottingham then 4 days after pitching i added Champaign yeast to speed it up i got it to the keg carbonated and to a wedding in time, it was cloudy as hell but everyone loved it

I've done a 7.5% IPA including 3 days dry hopping and 3 days cold crash in 10 days. The ferment took off like a rocket with the Wyeast 1217 West Coast IPA yeast and was done in 4 days. With gelatin at the start of cold crash and force carb I was pouring beautiful fresh clear ale to my delight. Healthy yeasy make short turnarounds possible without compromising the quality of the end product.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Home Brew mobile app

It was the BN CYBI Green Flash West Coast IPA btw.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Home Brew mobile app

a 3.8% SMASH beer, ferment until it starts clearing at the top (5 days at 20 deg C) then bottle with no priming sugar, 5 days at 25 deg C then 15 deg C until the party starts..

Latest posts

Back