best plate chiller for gravity feed system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
My girlfriend is looking for Christmas gifts for me and I would really like a plate chiller. I don't have the money to invest in a pump at this time and would like to stick to gravity fed (via a ball valve). I know the Shirron plate chillers can be gravity fed but I have also heard the 10 plate chillers are kind of crappy. Does anyone have experience with other plate chillers that can be used with gravity?

I hit up dudadiesel.com for a long chiller. They are the best/cheapest I could find and work really well. You can get a 10gl batch to temp in under 10min in the winter which is pretty respectable for less than $200.

I picked up a Therminator two weeks ago and I cannot sing its praises henough. I actually have to restrict the flow of water because the Therminator will cool my wort to 58* as its gravity fed to my fermentor. I love it. I know its expensive, but I like knowing that what I have will work without a pump and will cool my wort as quickly as i can drain my kettle.

HX1220BWGH_ID1202-L.jpg

That ain't right...

Cheers!

Back