Best place to get a co2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegionalChaos

Reaction score
Howdy folks,

Now that I've got some cornys, it seems like co2 is the next big thing I need to keg. I don't mind taking my time in order to get a good deal, I'm trying to keep my costs down. That being said, where is a good place to find co2 tanks? What is a good deal for one? I'm assuming I'm going to be wanting a 5 or 10 lb tank? Can I used a tank that was designed (and possibly used) for welding? Or does it need to be specific for the beverage industry?

I'm tempted to start out by doing secondary and natural carbing in the kegs, then using a small paint ball gun tank I have (maybe only 9oz?) to push the beer out with. Any and all advice, thoughts, comments, etc. are welcome. I'll probably spend some time watching / posting on craigslist, since that worked so well for me with the kegs.

Thanks! :mug:

Craigslist is a great place to get them, however, be aware that used tanks may have to be hydrostatically tested before anyone will fill them. If you look closely at the tank you will find a date or series of dates punched into the cylinder near the top. A CO2 cylinder needs to be tested every five years, so as long as the latest date is within the last five years you will be able to get it filled. If not, it may still be a good deal (depending on price) bt realize it may cost $15-$20 and a few days to a week to get it tested. I would try to get at least a 10lb tank if you can. 5-pounders empty too quickly.

My buddy and I just picked up two cylinders (20lbs and 30lbs) and a regulator plus a single faucet tower, faucet shank, sanke tap and an empty keg for $100. Not a bad deal.

Good Luck! Once you start kegging you'll never look back. :rockin:

crabtre said:
My buddy and I just picked up two cylinders (20lbs and 30lbs) and a regulator plus a single faucet tower, faucet shank, sanke tap and an empty keg for $100. Not a bad deal.

Wow thats a really good deal.

I got a new 20 lb tank from a welding supply shop for $100 + the fill. My local fill shop charges $17 (including tax) to fill it. IMHO, bulk is always the way to go, unless the size of the tank is an issue. If you need it to fit in your Sanyo, go for a 5 lb. But if you're using an external tank, go for a 20 lb. Why fill more often than you have to?

Got mine off craigslist for $15, it doesn't have current cert but Airgas said they'd swap it anyway for $22. Ask your local gas supply places if they take cylinders that aren't current cert, some will.

Not to hijack thread here;
My LBS told me I should use aluminum bottles only as steel bottles can add a metallic or rusty taste to the beir. Now is there any truth to this or just BS as he was wanting to sell me a new aluminum bottle? I already have five steel 20# bottles that were free that will need to be tested when they become empty. They were free saved from the dumpster on a remodel job same with three 7.75 gallon kegs.

BrewBeemer said:
Not to hijack thread here;
My LBS told me I should use aluminum bottles only as steel bottles can add a metallic or rusty taste to the beir. Now is there any truth to this or just BS as he was wanting to sell me a new aluminum bottle? I already have five steel 20# bottles that were free that will need to be tested when they become empty. They were free saved from the dumpster on a remodel job same with three 7.75 gallon kegs.

Never made a comparison, but I would say he is full of it on this one.

I'd say steel is fine so long as the inside is clean (no rust, growth etc). My old bottle was steel and never added any odd flavors.

Thanks as this is good to know as all 5 bottles are still under pressure without any moisture entering causing any rusting problems. This with gauges, manifolds, regulators and other items like a carbonator I can slowly build my brewing project on the low buck scale. Besides four 15.5 gallon kegs i'm still in the planning stages, bad back has me disabled and in bed 70% of the time. Tig, Mig, Bridgeport and Plasma but all useless with 24/7 back pain. This sucks and denied SSD at 55.

Latest posts

Back