Best online suppliers for extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasGuy

Reaction score
Hi. Which online retailers have the best deals, inclusive of shipping, for DME and LME?

Last edited:
This can depend on what specific extract you're looking for. Some suppliers have proprietary blends like Baltic black and American light (Williams) and some have vienna or maris otter that others don't carry.

Norther Brewer (Boo Hiss) carries Briess LME in 6lb containers. Buy 6 of the 6lb containers for under $100 shipped. Wait for a coupon and get it for less.

I generally do all grain but had a 20% off coupon and I bought a 6 pack of Gold which is Pale Ale (normal price $95) for less than $80 shipped.

I've often thought about buying a 50lb bag of DME and rebagging it. Depending on where you live there are deals by the sack. Ritebrew has the best price but shipping kills it for me.

I know i'm probably going to get some boo's for this but northern brewer has a pretty good selection of LME's. I've used them often, & i've never had any problems with them. More beer also has some good stuff too. I dont live to far away, so i go there from time to time. Or when i have a last minute brew day, & don't have time to wait for shipping.

I know i'm probably going to get some boo's for this but northern brewer has a pretty good selection of LME's. I've used them often, & i've never had any problems with them. More beer also has some good stuff too. I dont live to far away, so i go there from time to time. Or when i have a last minute brew day, & don't have time to wait for shipping.
N B is one of the ones that carries maris otter lme.

I partial mash, so use between 0 and 4 lbs of LME for each batch depending on whether it is a session beer or a Barleywine.

I don't buy extract often, but I have found the best prices are when Northern Brewer has sales. They offer 3 kits for $19.99 each, or on Columbus Day they offer some kits for $14.99. If you get enough you get free or cheap shipping, and I have found the liquid extract ends up at about $2.00 per lb, and you get grains and hops in the kits too that are a bonus.

I'm not sure you can beat their prices when they have kit sales. ...... I'd never buy extract from them at their normal prices.

On Amazon, I saw Brewmaster 6lb pale LME $27 free shipping w/prime.
It's that a decent deal it should I really look elsewhere?

You can always check Ebay for various sellers. I have gotten LME in cans from more than a few different sellers.

Williams has some interesting bulk extracts....
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Williams-Syrup-Malt-Extract-C99.aspx
A schwartz bier made with their Baltic black lme.
IMG_20200107_180418_burst_03.jpg

A schwartz bier made with their Baltic black lme.View attachment 675024

Looks good. I might need to try their nut brown extract...

The grain bill for their Baltic black extract... I like that they break it down.

Grain Bill for William's Baltic Black™
62% Belgian Pilsner Malt
25% Belgian Munich Malt
5% Belgian Black Wheat Malt
7% Melanoidin Malt
1% Belgian Special B Malt

I have a great luck with Williams LME bags. I waited till they put it on sale. MoreBeer sells in bulk bags too, though I've never tried them.

William's 8lbs bag of LME, 0.5 lbs C60, and some Cascades makes for a nice pale ale. Even quicker if you go for a 15-min boil.

If you can get the malt variety you need in DME, there's no reason to use LME which is impacted by shelf staling almost immediately.

Have you seen the variety of style-specific LME that Williams Brewing offers?

Anecdotally (based on previous replies in this topic) it appears that they [Williams] are able to deliver a fresh / quality LME. If so, that's a "win" for both them and home brewers who want a shorter brew day.

This is not the first time I've read a topic where certain brands of LME from certain suppliers have a loyal following.

I have bought a couple kits from Jaspers home brew boomchugalug.com they seem to have decent prices on lme I think some people don't like it because it comes in bags but I don't have an issue with it. also my orders have all been processed and out the door in 1 day and been on my porch after 2 days of shipping from New Hampshire to Washington which has been nice I have ordered twice from jaspers this month and am still waiting for NB to ship my order from 3/29

This place has some really cheap extracts available and if you are OK with a few dented cans you can even get some buy one, get one....

https://labelpeelers.com/liquid-malt-extracts/

BOGO will get you two cans for 8 to 10 dollars.... Doesn't get much cheaper than that....
Saw the BOGO deals but it wouldn't let me add to my cart. Just my wishlist. Is there something I'm missing?
Which ones did you get?

Have you seen the variety of style-specific LME that Williams Brewing offers?

Anecdotally (based on previous replies in this topic) it appears that they [Williams] are able to deliver a fresh / quality LME. If so, that's a "win" for both them and home brewers who want a shorter brew day.

This is not the first time I've read a topic where certain brands of LME from certain suppliers have a loyal following.

I specifically said IF you can the the malt variety you want in DME that it's a better product than LME. For example, I'm not aware of a Maris Otter based DME so that's one case where you'd have to go LME but then freshness matters quite a bit.

I specifically said IF you can the the malt variety you want in DME that it's a better product than LME. For example, I'm not aware of a Maris Otter based DME so that's one case where you'd have to go LME but then freshness matters quite a bit.
I wonder which base grain is in munton's dme. They are really tight lipped about it. I have an article about extracts scheduled for the July/August issue of Zymurgy and they were no help: didn't respond to my queries.

Saw the BOGO deals but it wouldn't let me add to my cart. Just my wishlist. Is there something I'm missing?
Which ones did you get?

Well, I never actually ordered anything from them so I don't know. Maybe if they list a phone number you could contact them. I noticed the exact same thing as you did when looking at the page.

Thanks. I'll have to look into it more.
Wboth jobs shut down, bring a beer lover and having tons of free time...
I am trying to get LME or DME and hops inexpensively, but cost effectively. I am trying to buy in small but do o can do more than one 5 gallon cook, but want to be thrifty.
It's a weird time we're in. I told my wife when we're done with this quarantine shutdown thing, a bunch of us are gonna come out the other side with revelations and self-realizations. Growth without the ability to afford it.
:mad:

Which ones did you get?

Hey I just asked someone on a different forum about Label Peelers since they mentioned ordering from them before. Will let you know what I find out.

Hey I just asked someone on a different forum about Label Peelers since they mentioned ordering from them before. Will let you know what I find out.
Thank you. That will come in handy in the future. I just bottled the second half of my 5 gallon and wanted to get cooking again.
I was on NB looking at hops and pulled the trigger on 6lb pale LME and 3 lb Newport hops. I spent less than $12 on the hops.

Thank you. That will come in handy in the future. I just bottled the second half of my 5 gallon and wanted to get cooking again.
I was on NB looking at hops and pulled the trigger on 6lb pale LME and 3 lb Newport hops. I spent less than $12 on the hops.

Hey, I just gave them a call and they told me that they don't always have dented cans in stock but that if you sign up for their newsletter they do announce when they get them. Their number is (330) 678-6400.

Great deal on 3 lb. of hops BTW....

Hey, I just gave them a call and they told me that they don't always have dented cans in stock but that if you sign up for their newsletter they do announce when they get them. Their number is (330) 678-6400.

Great deal on 3 lb. of hops BTW....
Thank you so much!
I plan on buying those as soon as they announce them again.
Partly because I'm cheap and partly because I don't care about a dent.
Greatly appreciated, friend.

When I purchased extract I always went with NB based on my thinking that they have enough of an inventory turnover that it has the best chance of being fresh. And as noted in a few posts, they carry a few different varieties.

I'm on the LME train so far. But I've only done one Brew.

I've been buying from Great Fermentations online recently. Their selection is not as big as N B, but often their price is lower and shipping is free if you order more than $55. Mainly Briess extracts (DME & LME), and a decent selection of malts, yeasts, etc. They have a nice feature for grains, you can request your grains be part of "grain bill" and they'll crush them and put them all in a single package. Nice for those who are mainly steeping as I am.

Back