Best-of-Show judging might just kill you!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local homebrew club, The Greater Huntington Homebrewers Association, had our annual competition, the Mountain Brewer Open. I judged Belgian Strong Ales and Vegetable, Herb, Spice, and Smoked beers. No problem, as lunch was served in between. Then came Best-of-Show. They needed a BJCP judge who hadn't entered anything, and I just happened to be there.

Nineteen beers. Nineteen. 1-9. Our final four were an English Old Ale, a Saison, a German Alt (my #1 choice), and an RIS. It was a good experience, and I need the points for my rank, but daggone, that's a lot of beer! :drunk:

hehe, reminds me of a buddy at the Great American Beer Fest. He had a tiny sip of each that he tried, to keep from getting drunk...80 or 100 tastes later (a very small percentage of the festival) he had to call his wife to come get him.

so which one won?

Our final four were an English Old Ale, a Saison, a German Alt (my #1 choice), and an RIS.

That's the order, 1, 2, 3, and honorable mention. I thought the Saison was good, but we had initially kicked it out of the running. The Alt was superb! I'd say my least favorite was the Old Ale that ended up winning. So it goes.

Basically, if I could agree with one judge on a particular beer, the other two would oppose us. I think that's how the Saison got brought back, and how the wonderful RIS didn't get at least 3rd. But they're higher ranked than me, so I must defer to those more knowledgeable than myself.

Back