Best NEIPA hop combos

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yakima Valley Hops says vacuum packed hops stay fresh in a freezer for 4 years. Should be good to go.

Well for some of the hops I bought 250g pack and have opened and resealed them again with my vacuum sealer.
They have never been out of the freezer for more than a few minutes at a time though.
Just however long it takes to cut them open take a few ounces out and reseal.

I like Citra, Mosaic and El Dorado where El Dorado is added at a higher amount to be the star. I do a tiny 60 minute of what ever high alpha variety I have then a huge whirlpool. Small high krausen dry hop and then large terminal gravity dry hop. When I add terminal dry hop I close off my kegmenter to capture as much volatiles as possible during the 3 day FG dry hop. I think the extra Co2 I capture and force into solution from the hop creep re-fermentation gives me great aroma in the final beer.

I might give something like this combo a go as I do have a lot of El Dorado.
A bit of Columbus at 60 and then 10 to 12 oz shared between the whirlpool and dry hop.
2 oz of Mosaic might not be enough so I'll use all that in the whirlpool and add some Vic Secret to the dry hop.

@Shenanigans
Give it a try! I just brewed this agin this past Saturday and I pulled a sample yesterday at its amazing. I still have the FG dry hop left but the aroma was amazing. The taste was very yeasty and had Hop Bite. That always drops out for me. My hazy bois are always better when in keg for a minimum of 2 weeks at serving temp. Cheer!
Also Yakima Chief hops has mosaic for $3.99 for 2oz and free shipping!!!

https://www.yakimachief.com/mosaic.html

@Shenanigans
Give it a try! I just brewed this agin this past Saturday and I pulled a sample yesterday at its amazing. I still have the FG dry hop left but the aroma was amazing. The taste was very yeasty and had Hop Bite. That always drops out for me. My hazy bois are always better when in keg for a minimum of 2 weeks at serving temp. Cheer!
Also Yakima Chief hops has mosaic for $3.99 for 2oz and free shipping!!!

https://www.yakimachief.com/mosaic.html

Thanks for the mosaic tip but I live in Europe :)
I actually have about 20lbs of hops in my freezer so I'm really trying to behave myself and not buy anything new until all my 2017, 2018 and 2019 hops are used up. :oops:
Really hoping I can wait until the 2021 crop comes out then I will probably buy a 1kg pack each of about 5 of my most used hops, including Mosaic, as it works out about 30 to 40% cheaper per gram than buying 100g or 250g packs.

I'll have to start exploring other beer styles than my favorite IPAs over the next 6 to 8 months to use them up, which I hope will be a good learning experience.

Thanks for the mosaic tip but I live in Europe :)

It's natural for people to assume that you're in the US in the absence of any other pointers. To save everybody wasting time, I suggest you (and anyone else) put your country in your profile.

Anyone have recommendations using 6oz strata and cashmere ? Never used these two before but figured I’d use up my last hops before ordering more.

Been testing out how to increase hop character using hot side hops.

after reading scott janish and the talk around what hot side can do to increase the quality of ipa's, i found that idaho 7 was hisd favourite (he obviously has a list of hops that work really well).

Here in NZ Iadho 7 is a little on the pricy side, but i noticed that one on his list was Southern Cross.

So version 1 was
idaho 7, citra cryo, loral cryo & mosaic T90

Version 2 is coming in a week or two
southern cross, citra cryo, loralcryo & mosaic T90.

Just to evaluate the perceived difference when changing out a single hot side addition.
for convenience i've been using Verdant dry
1.062 - 1.012

I'm just finishing up the ferment on a 100% Amarillo Pale Ale, then i should get stuck into this one.

Latest posts

Back