best metal band of all time (metallica not allowed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, I would call deftones and system of a down nu-metal...wut is tool? I guess I always considered them "alternative" but don't want to really group them together with all those other pansies. Tool is awesome. I used to play Sober once a day at least when I was a kid.

(metallica not allowed)
Bull**** answer...... What you really want to know is who is 2nd best...........

Metallica... although i do respect their work, i never was a huge fan of their songs, it lacks magic if you ask me... too grounded, too down to Earth, i like music to take me somewhere else than this ****ty reality we live in.

So i always preferred their contemporaries like Iron Maiden, Dio, Ozzy and the likes.

Give me 10 albums from bands of that Era, and chances are i'll listen to the Metallica CD in last when im sick of all the others...

Technical ability is one thing, but it will never make a great tune, it's just more technical, not more enjoyable, music is all about feel, not mathematics.

metallica is not that technical, I have been playing guitar for a while and they are not difficult at all. Try playing the winter madness solo by wintersun, that is a sweeping nightmare to learn.

Is Children of Bodom really "Melodic Death Metal"? I always considered them Speed Metal with Black Metal vocals. No?

Death is Melodic Death Metal. And Necrophagist. BIG difference.

metallica is not that technical, I have been playing guitar for a while and they are not difficult at all. Try playing the winter madness solo by wintersun, that is a sweeping nightmare to learn.

Sorry but Sweep guitar is not a technical guitar playing reference at all...

Even... if i can hear a sweep in a given solo nowadays, it dramatically looses many musicality and pertinence points in my book.

I have been playing guitar since i was 15 and sweep guitar is not something that will remain in rock history more than all the hype that has been round all the whammy bar frenzy thats been occurring during the early 80's.
(it all sounds the F**** same dude...)

Sweeping or whamming or hammering on will never make up for lousy songwriting...

Which song will you be still humming on 10 years from now?

I know i still put Ozzy and Dio on my playlists...

Is Children of Bodom really "Melodic Death Metal"? I always considered them Speed Metal with Black Metal vocals. No?

Death is Melodic Death Metal. And Necrophagist. BIG difference.

ehh, I would say necrophagist is more death metal than melo death. Death is a bit more hard to define, but i must say they are one of my favorite bands (hence im wearing a "sound of perseverance shirt"). Necro does have random sweeps so i mean i can see how they seem melo death, but overall i would say they are death metal, but kinda weird. I'm not that big of a fan of necrophagist though.

COB is more melodic death metal than anything. The finnish melodic death metal scene seems to have the high pitched vocals with melodic guitar riffs. I mean i would throw them in with the in flames, at the gates, norther, kalmah melo death category.

I agree with you about In Flames and At the Gates, but I would put Norther and Kalmah more in line with Children of Bodom. They have more of a Speed Metal sound than Death Metal. If you take away the vocals, they are Speed/Power Metal.

Sorry but Sweep guitar is not a technical guitar playing reference at all...

Even... if i can hear a sweep in a given solo nowadays, it dramatically looses many musicality and pertinence points in my book.

I have been playing guitar since i was 15 and sweep guitar is not something that will remain in rock history more than all the hype that has been round all the whammy bar frenzy thats been occurring during the early 80's.
(it all sounds the F**** same dude...)

Sweeping or whamming or hammering on will never make up for lousy songwriting...

Which song will you be still humming on 10 years from now?

I know i still put Ozzy and Dio on my playlists...

Well i am a bit younger (21) so i mean i pretty much grew up on the newer stuff, like 90's black and death metal. I like metallica up to the black album. But Ive been playing guitar for 8 years and some sweeping is pretty hard to learn. I would consider gnarly sweeping one of the hardest things to learn with guitar. Anyone can double pick and play power chords but to do sweeping right, it takes real talent. Listen to the winter madness by wintersun solo as a reference. If you can play that then get in a band man.

Yeah black sabbath is awesome and the other bands of those times, but im a bit more modern than that. But it seems that metal is changing more into the melocore ****, which is terrible. I mean with bands like avenged sevenfold playing at wacken, wtf. Metal seems to be changing in my eyes as bands that I have really liked have put out some pretty ****ty albums recently, ie lamb of god, amon amarth, bodom, enslaved, opeth... But i guess you only have so many albums in you, unless your slayer and can keep putting out pretty good albums over the years.

:rockin:

I agree with you about In Flames and At the Gates, but I would put Norther and Kalmah more in line with Children of Bodom. They have more of a Speed Metal sound than Death Metal. If you take away the vocals, they are Speed/Power Metal.

well man i have to disagree with ya. I mean I feel it is more the style of finnish melodic death metal bands to play in that sort of style. I mean i understand if you take away the vocals, but when im talking about bodom, im talking about their old stuff, like follow the reaper, hatebreeder, something wild and hatecrew deathroll. I mean i guess it depends which bands you put in with melo death. If you consider necro to be a melodeath band, then yeah they wouldnt fit. But i consider bodom, the above bands listed, neaera, insominium, black dahlia and dawn of relic all melo death. But i mean that how i categorize them.

Power metal is quite different than COB's instrumentals. I am not a fan of power metal at all, but have listened to it, as one of my buddies is into hammerfall. But i think its important to consider the vocals as a part of the instrumentation in categorizing the bands.

I just thought of one word that clearly separates Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Norther, etc. from most Death Metal bands.

KEYBOARDS!

Oh, and Black Dahlia Murder is another great Melodic Death Metal band.

I just thought of one word that clearly separates Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Norther, etc. from most Death Metal bands.

KEYBOARDS!

Oh, and Black Dahlia Murder is another great Melodic Death Metal band.

Yeah, but i mean that along with the guitar riffs, the drumming and vocals make them melodic death metal bands. I guess you could be more specific and say "finnish melodic death metal".

But anyways, i noticed that your in cali, you know that Opeth and Paganfest are this weekend. Should be pretty kick ass. Im in southern cali and Opeth plays saterday night and Paganfest is on sunday. You should hit that **** up!

But i mean i hate to argue genres ( i do this with my friends all the time) because ultimately either a band is awesome, alright, or ****ty. If its something you bang your head to, than its chill.

Power metal is quite different than COB's instrumentals. I am not a fan of power metal at all, but have listened to it, as one of my buddies is into hammerfall. But i think its important to consider the vocals as a part of the instrumentation in categorizing the bands.

I love Hammerfall, but that's about it when it comes to Power Metal. I don't know why, I just love how cheesy it is...but I can't stand Dragonforce. Weird, eh?

Well, Manowar is power metal, so I guess that counts...much different sound than most, tho, specifically in the vocals.

So yes, I agree that vocals play a part, but some of the vocals are more black metal...some even thrash. So should we automatically assume they are black metal as well, even though the instruments don't match that?

Speed Metal is often combined with Power Metal but there is a definite difference. I still categorize Children of Bodom as "Speed Metal with Black Metal Vocals."

Looks like we are in disagreement. I'm going to the metal websites and see what they have to say...

Yeah, but i mean that along with the guitar riffs, the drumming and vocals make them melodic death metal bands. I guess you could be more specific and say "finnish melodic death metal".

But anyways, i noticed that your in cali, you know that Opeth and Paganfest are this weekend. Should be pretty kick ass. Im in southern cali and Opeth plays saterday night and Paganfest is on sunday. You should hit that **** up!

But i mean i hate to argue genres ( i do this with my friends all the time) because ultimately either a band is awesome, alright, or ****ty. If its something you bang your head to, than its chill.

Yeah, but if you make me change my mind about something, I have to CHANGE THE FOLDERS ON MY COMPUTER! You Bastage! :p

I'm not really into Opeth. But I'm sure we can both agree that Skeletonwitch is awesome, right? :D

I was totally unaware of paganfest this weekend! I may have to go to that ****!

PaganFest America: Part II will include: Finland's folk freaks Korpiklaani as the headliners, Switzerland's Eluveitie, Ireland's Primordial, Finland's Moonsorrow, Canada's Blackguard (formerly known as Profugus Mortis) and straight off the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, New Jersey's crazy Pirate Metal drunks, Swashbuckle as the opening party starters throughout the tour!

Swashbuckle, lol

I love Hammerfall, but that's about it when it comes to Power Metal. I don't know why, I just love how cheesy it is...but I can't stand Dragonforce. Weird, eh?

Well, Manowar is power metal, so I guess that counts...much different sound than most, tho, specifically in the vocals.

So yes, I agree that vocals play a part, but some of the vocals are more black metal...some even thrash. So should we automatically assume they are black metal as well, even though the instruments don't match that?

Speed Metal is often combined with Power Metal but there is a definite difference. I still categorize Children of Bodom as "Speed Metal with Black Metal Vocals."

Looks like we are in disagreement. I'm going to the metal websites and see what they have to say...

Yeah well ultimately melodic death metal is speed metal mixed with death metal instrumentals. I mean thats not an official definition, but thats what I go by.

Of course the vocals don't classify a type of sound by genre alone, and by the definition of melo death, they would be speed metal influenced. So i totally understand what you mean by bodom being "speed metal with black metal vocals" although i wouldn't really say they are true black metal vocals though (thats another discussion).

Well i am a bit younger (21) so i mean i pretty much grew up on the newer stuff, like 90's black and death metal. I like metallica up to the black album. But Ive been playing guitar for 8 years and some sweeping is pretty hard to learn. I would consider gnarly sweeping one of the hardest things to learn with guitar. Anyone can double pick and play power chords but to do sweeping right, it takes real talent. Listen to the winter madness by wintersun solo as a reference. If you can play that then get in a band man.

Yeah black sabbath is awesome and the other bands of those times, but im a bit more modern than that. But it seems that metal is changing more into the melocore ****, which is terrible. I mean with bands like avenged sevenfold playing at wacken, wtf. Metal seems to be changing in my eyes as bands that I have really liked have put out some pretty ****ty albums recently, ie lamb of god, amon amarth, bodom, enslaved, opeth... But i guess you only have so many albums in you, unless your slayer and can keep putting out pretty good albums over the years.

dude... im 42 and i have been in several bands, playing clubs, recording demos, shooting videos with the perfect 10 babes and all... been all there and done all of that.

And my main thing i wanted to say with that is that music has to reach emotions... it's really not about technical abilities...

listen... people like Steve Vai or Eric Johnson or Petrucci (spelling?) bore me to Death... (they dont lack tech ability dont they?)

Triple Bass drums or 4 times alternate sweeps will never cut any shiat against a plain good tune... it's not about how metal deep you sound or lightning fast ou play... good songwriting ability is Fukhan rare and cannot be learned, its a freaken gift.

Im so glad to have lived in the era i have lived my youth in... cause i honestly think young dudes of today dont have much left... what a ****ty era you guys are living in.... that so fr*** sad really... :(

Regarding COB

BNRMETAL:

They do not categorize them in a specific style. Here is their description:

Named for a murder case in their homeland, Children Of Bodom have quickly become one of the top metal bands from Finland, with their potent (and now oft-imitated) blend of progressive-laced speed/power metal with ferocious black vocals proving to be a hit with metal fans the world over. With five solid studio albums to their credit, their future remains bright.

Metal-archives calls them "Melodic Death/Power Metal"

Wikipedia says:

There is some contention regarding the band's genre classification, however in general the band's musical style has been described as melodic death metal

But, ya know...it's Wikipedia...we can't rely on THAT :p

And this is what their own myspace page says:

After starting out as a trash-metal combo, the founding members Alexi Laiho (guitars and vocals), Jaska Raatikainen (drums), Henkka Seppälä (bass) and Alexander Kuoppala (guitars) soon found elements of classic heavy metal creeping into their music. After taking in keyboardist Janne Wirman to complete their line-up, they honed their combination of old school black metal, classic heavy, and death metal vocals into the sharpest instrument of its kind.

So, yeah...basically...they are beyond categorization.

lol, oh well :rockin:

dude yeah paganfest will be awesome! I am a huge fan of moonsorrow so I am going. I went to the first paganfest last year and it was awesome (ensiferum, turistas, tyr). I got hammered off my ass. I seem to have a little soft spot for folk metal.

Really not that into opeth? have you given them a good try with albums such as morningrise and my arms, your hearse? I don't know any of my buddies who like good death metal and not opeth. I mean they do have some slower songs without distorted vocals but man they are damn good!

I saw them live and they sucked. All they sang was their slower crap.

I've listened to older songs (at my friends request) but just didn't care at that point. :p

I have a twisted taste in music anyway, I don't like a lot of Death Metal, just certain things I pick and choose. For instance...Cannibal Corpse is awesome and I enjoy seeing them live, but rarely do I feel the need to throw in a CC CD.

dude... im 42 and i have been in several bands, playing clubs, recording demos, shooting videos with the perfect 10 babes and all... been all there and done all of that.

And my main thing i wanted to say with that is that music has to reach emotions... it's really not about technical abilities...

listen... people like Steve Vai or Eric Johnson or Petrucci (spelling?) bore me to Death... (they dont lack tech ability dont they?)

Triple Bass drums or 4 times alternate sweeps will never cut any shiat against a plain good tune... it's not about how metal deep you sound or lightning fast ou play... good songwriting ability is Fukhan rare and cannot be learned, its a freaken gift.

Im so glad to have lived in the era i have lived my youth in... cause i honestly think young dudes of today dont have much left... what a ****ty era you guys are living in.... that so fr*** sad really... :(

Well of course the music i listen to has emotion in it. I mean because you grew up on sabbath, iron maiden, dio, ect, doesnt mean that the metal now doesnt have emotion. Perhaps the emotion is unattainable because your ear is trained on the older stuff.

I agree with you, it doesnt mean its good if its fast. The band origin is an example. They are lacking something, im not sure what it is, just just play ridiculously fast and its not my taste.

But i mean ultimately it is your opinion to what you like. If you don't like the newer stuff, cool. I mean as I get older im sure the scene will change and i'll be standing there saying the same thing as you man. Time seems to be always against us.

OMG, Swashbuckle sounds awesomely bad :D

Are you going up here? If none of my friends come with me (most aren't in to folk metal) maybe I'll meet up with you for some beers beforehand.

I saw them live and they sucked. All they sang was their slower crap.

I've listened to older songs (at my friends request) but just didn't care at that point. :p

I have a twisted taste in music anyway, I don't like a lot of Death Metal, just certain things I pick and choose. For instance...Cannibal Corpse is awesome and I enjoy seeing them live, but rarely do I feel the need to throw in a CC CD.

yeah, thats interesting, I tend to skip most CC songs when it comes on in my car (via ipod shuffle). They are good but I have over played them over the years. Try out some opeth again man. Yeah their slow stuff is ok (not really for live ****, but whatever). I mean how can you say no to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDODSHcUa0??

OMG, Swashbuckle sounds awesomely bad :D

Are you going up here? If none of my friends come with me (most aren't in to folk metal) maybe I'll meet up with you for some beers beforehand.

ah no, im going to the show in LA. But trust me, im getting smashed for both the Opeth and paganfest show.

Unless you want to bring me some of those dunkelweizens of yours so I can compare mine versus yours =). haha.

distorted vocals...
Geeeeeesus.... you all just wait till you turn 40 and further....

you wont enjoy those as much as you do now i can only tell you that.

and why?
Because we just change with time...

Not that any of you 20 something dudes should really care about... *LOL*

I still remember how i used to think when i was your age...

Ok... enuff with the :off: rant.... i know where i belong... out of this thread and beyond.

The music i used to love is dead and gone and no one can even get a glimpse about what it was even about.

Eras and fashions come and go like dust in the wind, hear me young men... cause this is also the way it will be for all of you.

Sorry, man. I can say no to that. It's good, but I'm not a big Death Metal fan unless there is something interesting going on. And I don't like mixing death vocals with singing...ugh.

Death is one of my favorite bands, but they're much more technical. Maybe that's the right word instead of "melodic"...I like Technical Death Metal. I like Cattle Decapitation, too...not sure what sub-genre of Death Metal they fall into.

ah no, im going to the show in LA. But trust me, im getting smashed for both the Opeth and paganfest show.

Unless you want to bring me some of those dunkelweizens of yours so I can compare mine versus yours =). haha.

Huh...I didn't see a show in LA...oh wellz.

That's awesome that there is a show on Saturday. All the goddamn shows have been on Thursdays and Sundays lately.

Well, I'll raise a glass on Sunday for ya and know that you're rockin out!

My roggenbier should be kegged by then (and it beats the **** out of my dunkelweizen ;) :D)

Sorry, man. I can say no to that. It's good, but I'm not a big Death Metal fan unless there is something interesting going on. And I don't like mixing death vocals with singing...ugh.

Death is one of my favorite bands, but they're much more technical. Maybe that's the right word instead of "melodic"...I like Technical Death Metal. I like Cattle Decapitation, too...not sure what sub-genre of Death Metal they fall into.

You should check out dying fetus. They are a pretty damn good death metal band that I like. They are very heavy. Cattle is a little too deathcore for me.

Yeah man, i'll do the same on saterday (while im watching opeth!).

I would love to try one of your beers though, next time im up in nor cal, ill send ya a PM, but i havent been up there in years (too many hippies) :D.

But Death was an awesome band. Too bad chuck died =(. I love the cd Human.

Dying Fetus is awesome. Human is awesome. Hippies suck, but they usually stay clear of the metal folk anyway :D

Definitely let me know if you ever plan to visit. I always have been on tap. It's usually good :D

Rumor is that a new Fates Warning album is coming this summer.
This makes me happy.

Good things happen in my life when they release an album.
It's been too long... I need a good thing again.

a victory.

hmmm.
I just flashed on a short story idea.

HBT, Kegged Kolsch and Metal band threads = inspiration?
hmmmmmmmm.

I have a short story in my head about the end of humanity. It's a sequel to a story I wrote about the beginning of humanity. I should writes it, but I'm always brewing...gorrammit.

I like Cattle Decapitation, too...not sure what sub-genre of Death Metal they fall into.

CD are a grindcore band, not a death metal band. Specifically "Goregrind" would the correct label. "Deathgrind" might also be applied, but less acurately because Deathgrind is death metal that crosses over into Goregrind, while Goregrind is a genre of Grindcore and not death metal at all. CD label their music as "Goregrind".

Awesome live band, and they seem to be really great guys. Travis especially, really funny dude -- kind of guy that just cracks you up constantly.

One of the best live bands you'll ever see.

I are confusored :D

I'll have to listen to other Goregrind, I've never heard a grindcore band I liked (my friend listens to that crap) but yeah...Cattle Decapitation ****ing rocks!

:rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin: :rockin:

Let me recommend you some other Goregrind bands you'll like....

Pig Destroyer, Prostitute Disfigurement, Impaled, Last Days of Humanity, Exhumed, Impetigo, and of course the godfathers of Goregrind who started it all - "Carcass".

Really the only difference between Goregrind and Grindcore is the subject matter. Goregrind is Grindcore that just happens to deal with subjects involving gore and forensic pathology. Goregrind is a subgenre of Grindcore, so if you like a Goregrind band then you like Grindcore because its the same thing.

The difference between Grindcore and Death Metal, is that Death Metal has its roots in Thrash while Grindcore has its roots in Hardcore Punk which was a reaction against Metal and Thrash music. So while Grindcore and Death Metal share some common characteristics, they are different in that their origins lie on different sides of the schizm between Metal(specifically the genre of metal known as Thrash) and Punk(specifically Hardcore Punk).

So thats why a death metal band like Lord Gore is properly referred to as "Death Grind" and not "Gore Grind" even though the lyrical content and subject matter is identical, because their music comes from death metal or thrash roots and not from hardcore roots.

And speaking of Lord Gore, you should probably go to Razorback records website and order "Resickened" and "The Autophagous Orgy" right now, those CDs are are damn near perfect -- Catchy songs with hooks that would make a top 40 band envious, clever riffing, and the most hilariously offensive disgustingly tasteless lyrics imaginable ( google the lyrics to Morgue Whore or find the video on youtube ).

Ahh, ok. I've listened to Carcass, Pig Destroyer, Impaled and Exhumed. We have a collection on the Deathserver and they are all jumbled into one folder, so the genres can be lost to me at times.

Well of course the music i listen to has emotion in it. I mean because you grew up on sabbath, iron maiden, dio, ect, doesnt mean that the metal now doesnt have emotion. Perhaps the emotion is unattainable because your ear is trained on the older stuff.

I agree with you, it doesnt mean its good if its fast. The band origin is an example. They are lacking something, im not sure what it is, just just play ridiculously fast and its not my taste.

But i mean ultimately it is your opinion to what you like. If you don't like the newer stuff, cool. I mean as I get older im sure the scene will change and i'll be standing there saying the same thing as you man. Time seems to be always against us.

+1000 dude...
You truly have summed it all in a great way.

I guess i have grown too old for the new stuff cause i honestly don't get it anymore.

Im at the point in time where my parents were when they shook their heads in disbelief at the stuff i was listening to back then.

So sorry dudes if i had sounded offensive, im just an old fart who doesn't get the new stuff anymore. :drunk::mug:

Back